Hey guys,

This engine I have that came with my car appeared to be in a midway point of either install, or removal. One valve cover was off, the oil pan/starter were off/out. Headers barely took a wrench to remove. The previous owner passed away, so I don't have anyone to ask what was done to the engine.

Fast forward: I pulled the engine out. Torque converter looks brand new, shiny blue with clean white stickers on it. When I split it from the engine, there was only one stud out of four that had a nut on it. The engine, for something being put back in, is not freshly painted, or even overly clean for that matter.

Tonight I pulled the lifters out. None of them really have any wear marks on them. The cylinder walls look like they could be honed just to clean up any dirty spots. No scuffs or scores, etc.

I pulled one piston out. The bearings seem like they got a little hot, or maybe not lubed well at build, but not terrible.

The piston I pulled out, little dirty.. but, stamped 030.

So with the 030 stamp. Do I bother with this engine? It had an old edelbrock torker on it. an old holley carb that needs a serious cleaning and rebuild. Old headers that are fairly beat up, couldn't even give them away here. lol. a 1967 289 block with the 302 stamped in the lifter well, date code suggesting 30jun67. Heads are 1966 289 heads.

So... suggestions?

I'm not working with a huge budget here, but I do have plenty of time to kill while I'm cutting floors and trunk for metal work. Do I put any money into this engine with taking the block and heads down to a machine shop? or just start looking for a 5.0 and start from there?

Thanks guys,

Robert
I've always liked the 5.0 from the mustang gt's. I like the concept of the newer engine and the appearance of it's intake.