Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carb Question

oldford63 Guest

Smile Carb Question

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know who I can purchase a carburator rebuild kit from for my 1963 170ci 1 barrel manual choke carb?

Thanks,
    Guy

Have you already gone to your local auto parts stores? I went to a local parts store over the summer who had to order it up from a warehouse 50 miles away, but it was there the next day. They are still readily found just about anywhere.

I know Kenny used rockauto.com a lot, but I honestly would attempt a local source for this particular item just in case it takes a couple tries to get the right one. Carbs, after 45 some-odd years are not guaranteed to be the ones that Ford put on from the factory.

At the very least get a brand/model off the carb (Holley, Carter, Autolite, etc) and look for any stamped numbers or tags that may still be attached to help the parts house narrow your search for the "right" kit.

Hope this helps.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Get any numbers or information from the carb you can. Ford usually has a little metal tag attached to the carb with numbers on it..

Schuck's O'rielly's carries carb kits in the Niehoff brand.. if you don't have good luck at one of the stores.. send me the information from your carb and I'll locate a part number for you..

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

My local (Seattle) NAPA store had it on the shelf.

oldford63 Guest

Smile

Thanks guys,
    I am glad when things turn out to be simpler then I exspect. I added some cleaner to my fuel with good results, but it must have over done it because the carb is now dripping. Oh well, I now have the opportunity to rebuild my carburator!
    Thanks again for all of your help,
    Guy

Two hours project if you don't run into snags... Just take your time adjusting the float - everything else it hard to screw up. Simple carbs.

oldford63 Guest

Smile

I am feeling great!

Rebuilt the carb, installed 6 new plugs, a new distributor cap, rotor, and an Igniter 2 pointless ignition system. Got everything on, set up my timing, and oh man that little 170 came alive!

I just wanted to thank you guys for all of your advice and support. This 63 Falcon is the oldest car I have ever restored and I have found quit a few things that are different from the late sixties cars I am use to. Having you all to bounce my questions off of has really built me up.

Still waiting for my new leaf springs to come in.
    Thanks,
    Guy

Yeah, that Pertronix stuff is actually the biggest improvement you could have done (over the need for a carb to work right). I had some problems driving back from the Pacific Regional meet last summer (turned out to be a carb issue in the long run), but as I was limping back to Washington from Southern Oregon, trying things as I went, I converted back to points and condenser in a rest-stop along the freeway in just one futile attempt to zero in on the problem -- and it was like I shoved a potato in the exhaust or something. Since it didn't solve the problem, I put the Pertronix back in immediately. Had 600 miles more to go and there was no way I was driving a car with points AND fuel starvation! You made agood investment with that. I assure you of that.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"