Thread: Ignition switch question

Elhot Guest

Ignition switch question

Hey all,
    I've just replaced the ignition switch in my 65 Ranchero and have a question about that little pin that holds the key tumbler in. Mine fell out and vaporized as I initially pulled the piece out. So my question is what is a good replacement for it ? And what length? Any tips on reinstalling that tumbler and pin would sure be appreciated. The manual is rather vague. Love this new format!
    Thanks in advance
    Elliot

Hi Elliot,

I remember the same thing happened when I pulled the ignition switch out of my dad's mustang - and it never went back in right and has not been fixed yet I thought the tumbler was part of the ignition switch so I'm a bit confused, but those are available new (same as a mustang). Of course that means an extra key or replacing the door locks too- not exactly the answer you wanted! I'll dig through my parts bin as I may still have the switch from my '65 wagon parts car.
    Thor Johnson
    www.flickr.com/photos/sedanman
    Low & Slow '64 2dr Sedan
    Stock(for now)200 I-6, Lokar shifted C-4, Wedge kit,V-8 coils, dropped granada spindles/discs,GT leaves,3.0 8 inch

Elliot,

I looked at my '65 wiring harness today and the switch is not there. I still have the "tumbler" and key, but don't see any pin there and don't remember seeing one when I pulled it out.

If I have time this weekend I'll pull the switch out of my current car to examine the pin you're missing. Where is the pin located - is it part of the chrome sleeve that the tumbler goes into, or should it come out in the tumbler? When I took the one out of the mustang so many pieces came out I didn't pay attention to what they looked like!
    Last edited by Sedanman; October 18th, 2006 at 07:43 PM.
    Thor Johnson
    www.flickr.com/photos/sedanman
    Low & Slow '64 2dr Sedan
    Stock(for now)200 I-6, Lokar shifted C-4, Wedge kit,V-8 coils, dropped granada spindles/discs,GT leaves,3.0 8 inch

Elhot Guest

that dang pin

Thanks for stopping by the shop today it was fun to show you the new projects. And thanks also for your offerings of help with that pin. As I told you today that pin is permanately located so it was there all the time.
    Take care man ,Elliot