Thread: Rear Engine Support

Rear Engine Support

This drawing shows two different center bolts (Part Nos 377785-S & 375412-S), and three different screws for the front of the cantilever (Part Nos 37889-S, 378952-S, and 372304-S).

Section 60 Page 160.jpg

Which ones do I need for a 1963 Falcon with a 260 V-8 and a Ford-O-Matic automatic transmission?

What is the little clip for (Part No. 7C073) that is at the front of the S-shaped cantilever support?

Thanks, Dennis.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; March 11th, 2015 at 04:43 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Rear engine support parts

Quote Originally Posted by ew1usnr View Post
    Which ones do I need for a 1963 Falcon with a 260 V-8 and a Ford-O-Matic automatic transmission?
    Rear Engine Support Rebuild

My investigation of the rear motor mount was triggered by a transmission mechanic pointing out that the rear main bolt that that is holding up my transmission is wrong. The bolt is too long and someone had used a bearing to fill the empty space (see photo below). The mechanic also said that he did not think that the two forward bolts were correct either. That was two years and 8,000 miles ago, so obviously the wrong bolt has not been a critical problem. It did bother me, though. The rear motor mount is important and it should have the correct bolts. If substituted main support bolt is just the skinny threaded part of the bolt without the thicker shank, the assembly could move around and put a twist on the two motor mounts under the engine.

A Changed Transmission rear mount.jpg

I saw a note in the lower right-hand corner of the drawing (high-lighted in yellow) that says (BB-429) F/M/2 (Ford-O-Matic / Merc-O-Matic / two-speed). The forward bolt 373889-S had the same (BB-429) designation next to it and I guessed that it must be the one that went with the automatic. A mechanical engineer friend of mine at work thought that the little clip 7C073 might be a “bendy tab” that was meant to prevent the bolt from backing out.

Full Page 169.jpg

Of the two rear bolts (375412-S and 377785-S), I decided that the one with the larger number must have come later and would therefore be the one that went with the V-8 engine. I ordered a 377785-S bolt for $15 from the nice people at NOS Parts Ltd., Waxahachie, TX (See: https://www.nospartsltd.com/ , (972) 937-2201). The 377785-S bolt meatures 2 1/2" from the shoulder and the 375412-S bolt measures 2 7/16" long. They also told me that Green Sales Company, Cincinnati, OH, (513) 294-8385 had nine of the smaller forward bolt 373889-S. See: http://greensalescompany.com/pages/pn/373889S.html I called Green and ordered two of the bolts at $2.50/each. Those bolts measure 1 3/16" long. I will find out if they are correct when I try to install them.

1-DCP_0068.jpg

Then I read this description on the Falcon Parts web site and thought that I should change this rubber pad “while I was at it”: Falcon Parts says: “1960-1965 Transmission Cross Member Rubber Mount SKU: C1DZ-6068-A. This part is the rubber mount that is located up inside the transmission mount crossmember on all models of the 1960-1965 Ford Falcon & Mercury Comet. As the rubber deteriorates over time it will collapse allowing the transmission tail shaft housing to actually end up resting on the cross member. It has been our experience that this is the major source of most transmission related vibrations in these vehicles. There should be at least 1/2" clearance between the bottom of the transmission tail shaft housing and the top of the transmission support.”
    Falcon Parts wanted $19.95 plus postage for the item but I ordered the same part listed as a new “Protier Motor Engine Mount – Westar Part # EM2171” off e-bay for $12.01 with postage included from Silver Springs, Maryland. Then I looked at the manufacturer’s web site (See: http://www.protierind.com/search/C/P-P/Falcon.html ) and saw that they had the part listed for $1.97/each with free postage on orders of $5 or more. That means that I could have bought three of the transmission pads for less than the single part that I bought off e-bay! The company is based in Maryland, but the part that arrived says "Made in India". It looks good.

All models 1960-1965 TRANSMISSION CROSSMEMBER RUBBER MOUNTS c1dz-6068-a .95.jpg

I also bought a 1961/65 Falcon or Comet Rear Engine/Transmission Mount/Insulator (C1DZ-6A601-A) off e-bay for $9.95 + $5 postage from NW Classic Falcon in Portland Oregon. This was described at Falcon Parts as: “1960-1965 Transmission Mount Bushing SKU: C2DA-6A061-A. This part is the round rubber transmission mount bushing that fits between the cantilever spring and the transmission support on all models of the 1960-1965 Ford Falcon.”

NW Falcon 1960-1965 Transmission Mount Bushing 3.jpg
    Last edited by ew1usnr; March 27th, 2015 at 02:26 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Well, ... gee.

Quote Originally Posted by ew1usnr View Post
    My investigation of the rear motor mount was triggered by a transmission mechanic pointing out that the rear main bolt that that is holding up my transmission is wrong. The bolt is too long and someone had used a bearing to fill the empty space (see photo below).
    A Changed Transmission rear mount.jpg

I removed the rear engine support yesterday and found that the main bolt was correct after all. The bearing spacer had been added to take up the space from shrinkage of the old rubber insulators. One of the bolt holes of the new Made in India top motor mount did not fully align and I had to drill it out. The old rubber doughnut was compressed to half the thickness of the new one. The top rubber mount was sitting in oil on the cross member and the rubber was flat. The top sides of the parts were were crusted with sand and grease. I scraped them with a screw driver and scrubbed them with detergent and must have removed a pound of dirt. I had to unhook the emergency brake and then had to look up a picture to remind me how to put it back together. That job had looked simple on paper, but reality was different. I worked on it for the entire afternoon and it wore me out. Mechanics really do earn their money.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; April 5th, 2015 at 03:37 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"