Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tech Day -- Part Two -- September 19th

Tech Day -- Part Two -- September 19th

We're going to have another tech day in September at Gene's place. Gene didn't get much work done on his car that last tech day, so he's opened his place up again for us on the 19th of September to do a few more things to his -- and your's if you need something done. There's always plenty to do for all who can come.

The main thrust of this tech day will also be the installation of at least 2 dual master cylinder units. The club has decided to purchase the fittings needed to install these on your Falcon -- if you purchase the master cylinder and brake fluid. This will be a benefit of membership from here-on-out. So if you have been wanting to do this conversion -- come on out to Gene's with your car and the master cylinder in-hand and we'll get-er-done.

Gene will follow-up to this thread with address information and times we can converge upon his property.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

OK. My home (SmithKid's) is located at 7923 W. Glen Dr. in Everett. It is pretty easy to find:

From I-5 take the Hiway 526 exit (toward Everett Boeing plant)

Take the next exit to Evergreen Way & go North

Immediately move to the Left hand lane and turn Left on 79th

After 1 block, 79th turns Right onto Beverly. While still in that turn take the left turn lane onto Barbara Lane.

Barbara drops you onto an elongated circle. My home is on the West side of the circle on the East side of the street.

I hope many can make it. We had a great day last month, and much was accomplished on many cars. It was great meeting new faces and seeing their various Falcons.

Gene

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Hooray! Looking forward to it! Maybe I can contribute more than wiping off black goo this time...

Don't undersell the importance of that contribution. I just spent the last two hours wiping off black goo. The factory goop that they spray on the interior of the floor is tough stuff. I scrape off as much as I can, then use lacquer thinner to get to the bare metal.

Back to topic; it looks like I will be able to make this one. At least for a couple of hours.

Hello, all! Can someone post a link to what the master cylinder looks like and the best place to buy it? I was digging around the site (and on Falcon Parts), but am still not 100% sure what I need to get for our tech day.

J

J,

I usually get parts at rockauto.com but these are not too expensive and you can get them at any parts store like Napa or Schucks. Just ask for a master cylinder for a 1967 Mustang with drum brakes in the front and the rear. They may ask what engine you have and just say a 200 six-cylinder.

Tell them you want a new one and not a remanufactured one. Make sure the two raised parts on the lid are the same size. If one is bigger then it's for a car with disk brakes on the front.

Here's a link to a page showing what it looks like www.thompdale.com/brakes/brakes.htm
    Last edited by redfalken; September 2nd, 2009 at 03:39 PM.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

I didn't know enough to ask for a new MC when I ordered mine from RockAuto.com. I just went and looked at the box: it is indeed a re-manufactured MC. I wonder, should I consider sending it back and asking for a NEW one? The dude in the link you posted was quite adamant regarding this matter. Have you or anyone in the club actually had a rebuilt MC fail? Have you all used new units?
    Gene

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

I used a new one on mine and I think Jeff may have brought back a remanufactured once because the threads didn't seem right. Or that may have been JediJim, I don't remember!! Since I use my Falcon everyday and plan on being buried in it, I go with new when I can on most parts.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

I have used rebuilt M/C without problems for years. I did buy one from Rockauto for the Convertible and noticed the threads were so worn out (rusted horribly then blasted away) it wouldn't hold the tube nut (on the end of the brake line) when I tightened it. I called Rockauto and told them my story. They sent a replacement next day and told me to dispose of the defective one.

The M/C I just bought for the Wagon is a rebuilt from Rockauto. I certainly don't have a problem with a rebuilt.

Well clearly the thrust of the thread from that guy was the difficulty (sometimes) of getting the preassembled MC/pushrod apart.

Problems internally can be lots of heavy pitting caused by water, which almost always is in brake fluid, rusting the bottoms of all the the cylinders. Usually these pits can't be fully removed -- and who knows without taking it all apart how well these are scrutinized. My guess is that if they will send them with fitting threads blasted away to nothing, they don't do that much QC on these, Kind'a scary if you ask me. My new one was all of $35 twelve years ago, so if it's a difference of $20 -- go new if you can.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"