Thread: Starto-Jet. What is it?

Starto-Jet. What is it?

I saw this on e-bay. Is it a battery heater? How would it work?

Srato Jet.jpg

The description says:

"Vintage Strato-Jet Hard Start Kit

I got this a box of old tools I purchased. I can honestly say I know nothing about this guy. I do know its old. That is all I can tell you. I can't tell you if it has been hooked up but it looks NOS. There is no way to check it so I'm selling it as-is. I really don't need it back so make sure it's what you need. It's in need of a home to display or use. Up to you. It is what it is. As-Is."

Starto Jet 2.jpg

Starto Jet 3.jpg

Strato Jet 4.jpg
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

The Google machine comes back stumped.

Here is my guess...

Small switching power supply that applies MORE than 12 volts to the coil (or more than six volts for older cars if it is older than it looks) during the starter cranking to give a hotter spark.

Black to ground, red to the currently hooked up resistor bypass lead and blue to coil.

Next theory?

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Hey... found this on a completed ebay item. It does make for a hotter spark.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jeff W; March 22nd, 2015 at 06:20 PM.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Starto-Jet

Thanks, Jeff.

I used a magnifying glass to read the instructions that you posted. It sounds like a multi-spark discharge unit, nut only while stating. It talks about adding high-voltage impulses.

I don't know if it would really do anything to help a car start in cold temperatures. That is more of a weak battery and thick oil problem.

When I was in high school, there was a mail order car part parts company call J.C. Whitney. They used to carry all kinds of stuff like this and the catalog was really fun to read. They had an exhaust cut-out that you could operate with a pull knob that I used to fantasize about putting on my 1963 Falcon wagon. J.C. Whitney still exists, but they are just a shadow of what they were forty years ago.

J.C. Whitney.jpg
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

I have a JC Whitney, a Warshawsky & Co., and a Sears Automotive Catalog from 1962-63. Pretty interesting to see all the aftermarket things you could buy for your new car. You can find them on eBay all the time.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Starto-Jet. What is it?

J C Whitney still is in business. I had their catalog not too long ago. Just google them. They also still carry the exhaust cutout with a cable. See below. I opted for the electric cutouts like the ones below. I got mine off ebay and the guys in the club can tell you I love to utilize them. Going home from the club meeting last Wednesday I drove through the U-District with them open and had a whole bunch of the college kids whooping it up. Fun drive and the cut-outs were one of the first things I bought when I decided to build my car.

You can order their catalog by calling 312-431-6098

Larry

http://www.jcwhitney.com/mr-gasket-e...?filterid=u0j1

http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...tOrder=Default
    Last edited by BadBird; March 22nd, 2015 at 11:35 PM. Reason: additional infor
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

J.C. Whitney

Quote Originally Posted by redfalken View Post
    I have a JC Whitney, a Warshawsky & Co., and a Sears Automotive Catalog from 1962-63. Pretty interesting to see all the aftermarket things you could buy for your new car. You can find them on eBay all the time.
    Hello, Kenny.

That is a really good idea. I will do that. It might give me ideas for things to look for and would help me understand some of the things that I see.

Note to Larry:

"They also still carry the exhaust cutout with a cable."

That cast iron piece looks exactly what I remember from 35 years ago. I wonder how long that thing has been in production. It could go back 70 years. Cool stuff.

Are we there yet.jpg
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

I found the following showing they applied for a trade-mark in Canada in the early 60's. I bet there was at least one Falcon with one of these on it back then, or maybe a Frontenac, and there could be another one with it soon!

http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/tr...eNumber=299607

Instructions are quite funny. They call the distributor - the timer. They comment... Hence the importance of the 'ingnition' points to be well spaced.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; March 23rd, 2015 at 03:38 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"