Thread: Change to 4 speed

Change to 4 speed

I talked about this a long time ago, but it is still something that I am wanting to do. How hard is it to change over to a 4 or 5 speed from the C4 that I am running? Is it hard to find the proper underdash components? Want to help me do it!!!!!!!! Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Mine is now a 4-speed, but I had an easier job as it was originally a 3-speed. It's not really too big of a job if all the pieces are available (and they are on eBay quite regularly). I really wanted to convert mine to a 5-speed, but I was unwilling to jump in for the extra $$$. At the time, I figured a 5-speed was going to cost me around $3.5K. As it turned out I spent quite a bit more than originally planned because the 4-speed jumped out of gear on acceleration or deceleration. So I had it professionally rebuilt. Anyway..... all this to say that as with many of our projects, there are hazards, so beware.

Modern Drivelines in Idaho markets everything to do the 5-speed conversion, including clutch cable actuation.

All that said and done, I would be 1st in line to help you either way you decide to go. Just let me know when.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

I second the Modern Drivelines recommendation. They can put together a complete T5 kit for the Falcon. I would opt for the hydraulic clutch kit option.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

I agree regarding the hydraulic clutch. It's probably the smoothest, but the cable (if you have the proper bell housing) is a better choice than the z-bar. The z-bar would probably necessitate a header change to clear it.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Change to 4 speed

I like their site. Maybe I can find some cheaper components around here such as the transmission and bell housing and a few other items. I can't afford the almost $3000 for everything from them. Guess I will start looking for the transmission and other stuff. Definitely won't have room for anything but a cable activation. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

I'll tell you right now its a pia.. i converted my 63.5 sprint from fordomatic to t5.

Ordering everything from modern driveline is nice and makes it easy but at a cost.

Ive done a falcon with the s10 modded t5 and a regular mustang t5. Unless you have a bench seat or dont want to cut out a little bracing save your money and use a regular t5.

Find a pedal assembly from a donor car. Theres a guy in port orchard parting out cars.. i yanked a set out of a car at pull n save..$35.. get all the cutch parts you can.. though falcon parts sells alot of the parts too.

The biggest hurtle is finding the 5 bolt bell housing if you have an early small block.

It cost me $1500 +/- to do my swap.. but i didnt have to buy a bellhousing and my driveshaft fit without modifying. Just swap slip yolks..

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Old Ford Muscle article might help