Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fan Shroud

Funny that this topic has come up. In my younger years I never worried about the fan getting in the way of my fingers/hands, but now I am flat out afraid of the darn thing. I've seen chrome and mine is black, and it seems to me they're both nearly invisible. Has any one got any solution? I know a shroud would help, but maybe some paint scheme that could be readily seen? Maybe a spiral design on the blades to appear as though it's moving?

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

I have some hot pink powder coat!?!
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Can you do it in a nice spiral design? Maybe the contrasting color could be florescent orange?

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Anything you want Gene. I have a glow in the dark one for those night trips too!
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

I've been battling heat in the Ranchero with the 289 and though it hasn't boiled over, I don't like how high the temp readings get. So I ordered a new 17" deeper flex fan and a shroud like the one shown above (the 2 that look the same). The only came today, so I'm not sure whether it's the right shroud yet. Will know tomorrow. Also moving the new fan closer to the Rad using a spacer Gene supplied. Was about 2" away with a very shallow blade, but will be about an inch closer now.

Other things I'v noted is the mixture. Was probably richer than 50/50 mix and many places say that can cause overheating because antifreeze has a lower heat transfer compared to water. So many places suggest a water wetter and a 15/85 antifreeze to water ratio. Gonna try that too.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

It's a meat slicer.

Quote Originally Posted by SmithKid View Post
    I know a shroud would help, but maybe some paint scheme that could be readily seen? Maybe a spiral design on the blades to appear as though it's moving?
    I went with an aircraft theme and painted the fan tips red.

Installed 16 inch fan blade.jpg

The red tips show up nice. I think that the fan turns too fast for a spiral pattern to be seen.

16 inch fan blade in motion.jpg

After I put in a rebuilt radiator I found that the tips of the 17.5" fan blade that came with the car were extremely close to the lower hose and transmission lines. I switched it for a 16.25" fan that came out of a 1966 six cylinder Mustang to get better clearance and used a one inch spacer to mount it one inch from the radiator. The two blades are similar in size (7% width difference), but the tips on the larger one are more rounded. Maybe the rounded tips makes it more quiet?

17.5 and 16.25 inch fan blades.jpg

I use a 180 degree thermostat and the stock 260 seems to be a cool running engine. I used this radiator temperature cap to verify the accuracy of the instrument panel gauge. After driving for 35 minutes the radiator temperature was 160 degrees. I drove for 35 minutes in moderate traffic yesterday with a 91 degree air temperature while coming home from work. The dash temperature gauge stayed at a little under mid-range.
    160 degrees after 35 minutes.jpg
    Last edited by ew1usnr; May 10th, 2014 at 05:43 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Quote Originally Posted by SmithKid View Post
    Funny that this topic has come up. In my younger years I never worried about the fan getting in the way of my fingers/hands, but now I am flat out afraid of the darn thing. I've seen chrome and mine is black, and it seems to me they're both nearly invisible.
    I've got an aftermarket chrome fan, and I can't see it either. Too bad we don't have a turbine spinner on them, we could paint that. I used an import car's shroud, and buried it so I have to work hard to get my finger cut off. The added advantage is that it seems to cool better.
    If it's running, take it apart and see why.

I put in my new 17" flex fan today, though not without a considerable degree of consternation. Lucky for me Gene gave me a spacer or it would have never fit. Even so I have only a half an inch between it and the radiator. And I had to manually straighten the blades a little to get them to clear the crank and alt pulleys. Let me tell you, it was hard to squeeze that radiator between the core support and the fan.

Drove it almost a half hour around town with no hint of temp issues, but after taking it on the freeway and getting home I heard a tick,tick,tick,tick with engine RPM. Discovered the clearance to the top and bottom rad tank was narrowed by the fan being forced forward with the force of the air it pushes. So I got out the dremel and ground off the tips of the fan where they could hit the radiator. I may get a 16" fan. We'll see. The shroud they sent made no sense. Could not have fit it on even so. No space in these cars.

Made a U-turn on the last test drive and now the car wants to pull to the left. Oh boy, now what.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"