Thread: Door hinge spring compressor

Door hinge spring compressor

I noticed on Sunday that the hinge on my left door is missing a spring that is in place on the right door. That explains why the left door always wants to swing closed and will not stay open.

A replacement spring is available for only $1.25 (plus $8 postage).
    See: http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_falcon_mercury_comet/door-hinge-spring-used-on-lower-hinge-falcon.html

I saw a "door hinge spring compressor" for sale on e-bay for $24.99 + $5 postage.

Door hing spring compressor.jpg

Have any of you replaced these springs? How difficult is it, and is the spring compressor an absolute necessity?

Thanks.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; April 15th, 2014 at 03:00 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

I've changed them many times. I compress them almost to fully compressed in a vice and then use zip-ties to hold them compressed. You can usually get tighter once you've fed the zip-ties through and have them cinched up a bit. Then hold it in place in the hinge and clip the ties. Be sure to close the door enough so that the spring is captured on both ends when you clip the ties. Can be easier said than done on a hinge that is installed, but far cheaper than $30.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Oh, and the zip ties need to be strong enough to hold - so not the wimpy thin ones. If you have any with the metal bits to hold the zip part, they are best. I use real nylon Thomas and Betts ties, which I have a few left of from years ago. Just release the vice slowly to make sure they're holding if you use the local hardware store variety.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

I just used the big arse screwdriver method. Really fun when you don't quite get it and the thing goes flying!!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Replace the bushings too while you're in there. Bushings are cheap.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

"While you are at it ...."

Quote Originally Posted by pbrown View Post
    Replace the bushings too while you're in there. Bushings are cheap.
    Does that require removing the door?
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

It's best to remove the door so you can place the hinge in a bench vise. It's usually just the drivers side that wears. There is a kit available that comes with all the wearable hinge parts. Give your door a tug up and down to see how much slop is in the hinge. Realigning doors take some skill so maybe this is more trouble than it's worth.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Quote Originally Posted by pbrown View Post
    It's best to remove the door so you can place the hinge in a bench vise. It's usually just the drivers side that wears. There is a kit available that comes with all the wearable hinge parts. Give your door a tug up and down to see how much slop is in the hinge. Realigning doors take some skill so maybe this is more trouble than it's worth.
    Hello, Patrick.
    I am at a disadvantage in that I do not have a work bench or a bench vice. I know that my driver's door is somewhat misaligned because I need to slam it harder than I do the passenger door to get it to close. But it is not quite so bad as to exceed my extreme reluctance to start removing doors. For the time being I will take your advice about "Realigning doors take some skill so maybe this is more trouble than it's worth."
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Dennis,

Do these things - they are free to do, and easy too!

1) Grab the door in the almost closed, but open/unlatched position, and lift/relax/lift/relax. How much movement is there?

2) Almost close the door (don't enter the latch portion of the door) and look at body lines of the door relative to the body - straight on. Are they low or high relative to the body?

With this knowledge you can decide how much "WIAI" to apply. Some not so easy to do, but still free.

Fixes:

1) If the bushings are relatively OK and the door seems to be aligned to the body, then push it into the latch. Does the door want to raise or lower as you do this? If so, the latch needs adjustment to keep it from moving the door up or down. If it doesn't move up or down then the latch may be too far in and that is why you need to slam it to catch. Adjust it outward a millimeter or so. The latch (catch) is on the body jamb and this is what you adjust.

1a) If the bushings are relatively OK, but the door is not aligned, then with the car on a nice flat surface place a bottle jack (with protection) under the latch-side of the door, in its almost closed position, and then locate the three upper hinge bolts just parallel to the bottom edge of the dash where it meets the door frame. With the door held in a neutral position with the bottle jack, loosen the three hinge to body bolts. Then raise the jack while gauging the movement of the bolts to where they were before. When you've raised the door/hinges a small amount - tighten the bolts, remove the jack, and check the door alignment (not the latch catch yet). Rinse and repeat until you get the door to body reveal the same. Then adjust the latch to match the door.

1a-note: You can adjust the upper hinge some and then the lower hinge some. Depending on how much droop there is, taking it all out on only one hinge may tighten or loosen the door gap and possibly cause the door to rub the fender or somewhere else. I generally try one hinge (90% of the time the hinge that wears the most is the upper) and if that doesn't give me the reveal gap the way I like, I go and split the difference between the upper and lower hinges.

2) If the bushings are sloppy and the door seems to be aligned - do the same as #1. Essentially the slop has been adjusted out to align the door to the body, but the latch was not adjusted.

2a) If the bushings are sloppy and the door is out of alignment, then barring the bushing replacement you can take the mindset that the bushings are worn in the direction of the weighted side of the door. Yes, they are worn, but the door weight will not show that unless you lift on the door. Eventually it may just be ugly sloppy, but a worn bushing is generally only noticed when it begins causing the door to drop creating interference with the latch. In this case you can follow step 1A and adjust the hinges until the weighted door on the sloppy hinges are at least aligned. Assuming the latch was in the right spot and the door was what dropped, then you may not need to adjust the latch.

General door alignment

For what it is worth, the doors are always adjusted first without the [jamb] latch installed so you can adjust and push the door towards the body with zero interference with a latch. You adjust first to get a nice reveal of the door to the body at the latch-side jamb, and upper and lower reveals. With a hardtop the upper reveal would be the top edge of the door and the wing window interference. Then you adjust the fender to match the front of the door.

Many people try to adjust a door to a misaligned fender, which causes grief untold. You can usually tell just with a reading of the door gaps, but you need to take into account the hinge slop, if any. Marking the jamb latch and pulling it temporarily will help you along this line.

Also, if you have new weatherstripping, this can really fight the closing of a perfectly adjusted door, as well, until the weatherstripping has relaxed a bit. This can take a couple months.

Have fun!
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; April 16th, 2014 at 02:48 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"