Thread: '63 transmission

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

'63 transmission

I'm looking for a transmission for a '63 170 straight 6 automatic that I just bought. I want to turn this little 4 door into a daily driver until I can get my '65 2 door ht completed. What type of transmission is this and what would be a compatible tranny from other years/makes/models?? Any good resources in the Seattle area? Thanks in advance

Greetings FalconGirl-

That is probably a 2-speed automatic in your car if the original motor is actually still in there. They didn't offer much better than that until about 65/66 model year when they offered the C4, which is 3-speed. To the best of my knowledge there are no bolt-in options for the earlier engines, which lack the bolt-pattern to mate the later model transmissions.

Don't feel bad, I've got a 65 and have the same issue, so I opted to go with a pre-65 4-speed that bolted up with minimal fabrication efforts (apart from finding enough of them to make one good one out of ) and was the best option (for me) to get rid of the older non-synchronized 3-speed manual transmission.

Those 2-speed autos can still be had (no doubt a couple of us have them after swapping to later model engines and trannys) and parts can be found to rebuild them. If this is to be a daily driver, having a reliable transmission is a must. It may just be easier, and perhaps cheaper in the long run, to try and track down someone who's parting out a car or who's upgrading to a V8 and ask nicely whether you can have their old stuff.

And then, if you're in the Seattle area, you can join our little group and we can have another engine swap tech day! (oohh... I'm always doing that. Committing us to more work... )
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

tech day!!

When's your next one?! I would love to come meet the group...I thought I was a solo Falcon loving girl here in the rainy pacific northwest

No, there are others like you around here. I think a lot of people prefer flying solo, but we'd prefer having everyone participate and help others get their Falcons safe, restored, and upgraded -- as needed. We have a lot of members with cars still "in the works", so we/they can use all the help we can offer.

We don't have a planned tech day schedule -- since it's based upon need and member availability (and you sort'a need to ask for help, which some are either afraid or embarrassed to do sometimes), but we'll be having a meeting here after the holidays are over, so maybe you can bring your car by then and we can scope it out.

So stick around, ask questions, and we'll do all we can to help you out.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"