Thread: LED's

LED's

OK did a search on led's and found a bit of info, but need more help.
    I would like to do the led taillights but am a bit confused. I've seen bulbs for direct replacement but then I see diode or dummy loads? Some say direct swap and some say you need the dummy load.
    Also looking to do something different with the headlights. Maybe a tribar with turn signal? Then turn the bumper ones into running lights???
    Any more info on the led's would be great. Thanks...

I have the LED units in my tail-lights and have found no need for a dummy load. I don't have LED's in the front yet and that may change the need for a dummy load. I also have been considering Tri-Bar headlights, but probably will stay with the standard parking/turn signal arrangement. In the little research I've done, I like the look of the tri-bars with the LED halo, but not sure if these are legal (one site I looked at a video for stated they WERE NOT legal.
    Last edited by SmithKid; April 23rd, 2013 at 05:44 PM.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Go to http://www.superbrightleds.com. That is where I got mine. You will either need a dummy load or change out to an LED compatible flasher. I just changed my flasher behind the dash and used LEDs front and rear. You'll need to do some custom wiring for the turn indicator if you go LED in the front. I can come out and help you with that when you get that far. You just need a couple of diodes and a soldering iron.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Here is an old blog entry on the subject.

http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums/blog.php?b=47
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Cool thanks guys. I will get the parts and add them to my ever growing pile in the garage. Hopefully we can have that assembly tech day out here soon. Thanks for all the help and tips.

Just as a reminder of what I did - though I've not done the LED thing, this would help when it came to keeping the front indicators and the dash indicators on the same page:

http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums...&postcount=286

Same as what Patrick did, except I didn't simply use the high-beam hole as the left turn indicator. I also added a high beam indicator hole in the center.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"