Thread: Battery tray battle.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Battery tray battle.

What do you guys use for battery hold-downs?
    Do you (can you) drill holes in the original tray to use J-bolts to secure a cross piece?
    Should I buy a new original-type battery tray, or is there something better?
    Original type tray: http://www.laurelmountainmustang.com...SJACsKRDHwgRuC ALDN1bzTlW3YBlPtomp79RSj9tmsNAUYP6ucRoC8AXw_wcB
    Should I just prime and paint my old original corroded tray and put it back in?
    Enquiring minds want to know.

My 63 Falcon with a 260 V-8 has the original battery tray and the original clamp doesn't work with my new battery. The new battery does not have a ridge around the base for the original clamp to hold on to. I wanted a way to secure the battery with a top mounted cross bar and ordered a "M3534D 1963 – 65 Mustang Battery Tray, Top Clamp Style with J Nuts (For Falcon) from Venom Parts for $14.49 + $9.95 shipping = $24.44. See: https://www.venomparts.com/Dinacorn-M3534D.aspx

I received the new battery tray and removed the old battery tray yesterday. That sounds easy, but it turned into a bit of a struggle. The floor of the tray was held in place by two bolts with smooth carriage bolt heads that turned as I tried to unscrew the nuts below. I had to drill into the bolt heads and crimp them with pliers to remove them.

Original bolts.jpg

After getting the old tray out, I found that the new tray didn't fit. The dimensions of the new tray and the angle of its bracket are wrong.

Battery trays compared.jpg

The area under the battery tray was dirty, but I was glad to see that it was not very badly corroded. This is what it looked like after I scrubbed it with detergent and washed it with a hose. I will sand, prime, seal, and paint it before I put a battery tray back in.

Under batter tray after washing.jpg
    Last edited by ew1usnr; July 20th, 2014 at 09:15 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)