Thread: Pre-filling an oil filter?

Pre-filling an oil filter?

I just watched a You-Tube video where the mechanic said that when doing an oil change you should pour oil into a new oil filter before you install it.

The mechanic explained that if the filter is not pre-filled with oil, the engine will be pumping air into the hydraulic lifters until the new filter is filled and that having air in the lifters will cause a ticking sound in the engine.

Do any of you guys pre-fill your oil filters? It sounds logical, but I've never heard of doing this this before. I have never done it and never noticed any problem.

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNfAyCUze_s
    Last edited by ew1usnr; July 24th, 2014 at 07:06 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

I've never pre-filled my filters and never noticed the lifters getting noisy right after the change. But I suppose it couldn't hurt. Depending on how your filter screws on it might not be possible to completely fill it. My six would probably work 3/4 full but anymore would run out as I screwed it on.

Are you getting a clicking noise? Before I installed a rebuild cylinder head I would get noisy lifters when starting the engine quite frequently. I would turn of the engine for 5-10 seconds, start it up again and the noise almost always went away. When I pulled the lifters during the rebuild they were really gummed up. I took each one totally apart and soaked them it Chem-dip to get rid of the varnish build-up. All's quiet so far!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Oil Pressure

Quote Originally Posted by redfalken View Post
    I've never pre-filled my filters and never noticed the lifters getting noisy right after the change. But I suppose it couldn't hurt.

Are you getting a clicking noise? Before I installed a rebuild cylinder head I would get noisy lifters when starting the engine quite frequently. I would turn of the engine for 5-10 seconds, start it up again and the noise almost always went away. When I pulled the lifters during the rebuild they were really gummed up. I took each one totally apart and soaked them it Chem-dip to get rid of the varnish build-up. All's quiet so far!
    Hello, Kenny.

I've never heard any ticking. When starting up after an oil change the oil pressure light comes on for maybe two seconds and the goes out. Adding a little bit of oil to the filter might reduce that pressure lag time by a half second. That is one of the things that are nice about Model-T Fords. They use "splash lubrication" and do not have oil pumps or oil pressure. Plus, the same oil pan serves both the engine and transmission.

You had me puzzled for a second when you mentioned hydraulic lifters in your 1962 and then I remembered that you had upgraded to a 200.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Even Model "A"s used splash, and they were MUCH more modern. But the tranny was separate.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs