Thread: Leaf springs

Leaf springs

I'm in the market for a new set of leaf springs for my 65. Anyone got a suggestion of where to pick up a set ? My car has 3 leaf thinking I may go to a 4 leaf.

1965 Hardtop, 289, Top loader, Torino power disk brakes, Tilt steering, 2 speed int wipers

Mike Spears

Mcveigh truck springs. Is usually the best priced.
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

i bought mine from General Spring for $99 bucks each.
    http://www.generalspringkc.com/Leaf_...con_s/1899.htm
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Fiberglass?

Quote Originally Posted by dhbfaster View Post
    Hello, Don.

Do you know what your springs weigh? I found a reference to 1966 Mustang leaf springs where they said: “I just weighed a stock leaf spring, 33.2 pounds.”

Has anyone researched fiberglass leaf springs in regards to their weight reduction, cost, and availability for early Falcons?
    Last edited by ew1usnr; September 18th, 2016 at 08:13 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

I was looking at General. Did you get 3 or 4 leaf ? I was also thinking of getting them from local spring dealer and maybe save on shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by dhbfaster View Post
    http://www.generalspringkc.com/Leaf_...con_s/1899.htm

1965 Hardtop, 289, Top loader, Torino power disk brakes, Tilt steering, 2 speed int wipers

Mike Spears

Dennis I did not even know they made fiberglass leafs !! I'm not worried about about weight. Just building a nice cruiser. I think I stick with steel

Quote Originally Posted by ew1usnr View Post
    Hello, Don.

Did you know what your springs weigh? I found a reference to 1966 Mustang leaf springs where they said: “I just weighed a stock leaf spring, 33.2 pounds.”

Has anyone researched fiberglass leaf springs in regards to their weight reduction, cost, and availability for early Falcons?

Mike Spears

I bought the three leaf. My old ones were quite worn out and the back was sagging a lot, and these did bring it back to where it should be. Shipping will be about $65, and of course no tax. i recall that I didn't find them for less total locally, but that doesn't mean that you won't-especially if you have more time to look.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Leaf springs

I just ordered mine from McVeigh and got a $20 off coupon through them. I was looking at 5 leaf springs but there wasn't much good said about them so went with the 4 leaf springs. $208 counting shipping. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

One Helper Spring

Over the past year The Wonder Falcon had developed a tilt to the left. When I would park it the car would look tilted. I had replaced the front coil springs about two years ago, so it had to be the left leaf spring that was surrendering to gravity. The car looked like it was about one inch lower on the driver's side. And no, it was not me squashing the springs down. I only weigh 155 and am not "a big ol' boy".

The correct fix would be a new set of leaf springs. That is a little bigger project than I wanted right now, so I thought that adding a single helper spring to the left leaf spring might straighten the car. I bought a pair of Made in China “Superior Automotive Overleaf Helper Springs”, Part #11-1030, from Pep Boys at 20% off for $35.99 + $2.52 tax = $38.51.

Superior Automotive Leaf Spring Assist.jpg

See: https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9651634/00123

“Increase level load carrying capacity by 1000 1bs. with one pair. Hardware included. For leaf springs 1.75” to 2.5” wide (mine are 2” wide). Weight: 11.15 lbs (5.6 lbs ea). Helps eliminate sagging springs due to additional weight capacity. Will provide approximately one-inch lift in rear when not loaded.”

I added one helper spring on my left leaf spring last night and it took about ten minutes to install:

IMG_0543.jpg

I drove the car to work this morning and the new helper spring made the ride just a little bit more firm. I measured the height to the fenders when I got to work and found 19” on the left and 19 ¼” on the right. The car sits 1/4” higher on the right, but it is barely noticeable. While driving home today I did not even notice the new helper spring.

The operation was a success.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; October 12th, 2016 at 05:35 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Quote Originally Posted by ew1usnr View Post
    Over the past year The Wonder Falcon had developed a tilt to the left. When I would park it the car would look tilted. I had replaced the front coil springs about two years ago, so it had to be the left leaf spring that was surrendering to gravity. The car looked like it was about one inch lower on the driver's side. And no, it was not me squashing the springs down. I only weigh 155 and am not "a big ol' boy".

The correct fix would be a new set of leaf springs. That is a little bigger project than I wanted right now, so I thought that adding a single helper spring to the left leaf spring might straighten the car. I bought a pair of Made in China “Superior Automotive Overleaf Helper Springs”, Part #11-1030, from Pep Boys at 20% off for $35.99 + $2.52 tax = $38.51.

Superior Automotive Leaf Spring Assist.jpg

See: https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9651634/00123

“Increase level load carrying capacity by 1000 1bs. with one pair. Hardware included. For leaf springs 1.75” to 2.5” wide (mine are 2” wide). Weight: 11.15 lbs (5.6 lbs ea). Helps eliminate sagging springs due to additional weight capacity. Will provide approximately one-inch lift in rear when not loaded.”

I added one helper spring on my left leaf spring last night and it took about ten minutes to install:

IMG_0543.jpg

I drove the car to work this morning and the new helper spring made the ride just a little bit more firm. I measured the height to the fenders when I got to work and found 19” on the left and 19 ¼” on the right. The car sits 1/4” higher on the right, but it is barely noticeable. While driving home today I did not even notice the new helper spring.

The operation was a success.
    I love finding out about new info like this
    Scott Zimmerman

'65 Falcon Futura 2 door hardtop, 289 V8