Thread: Body to bumper seal

Body to bumper seal

Has anyone put on a new body to bumper seal or rock guard or whatever it is called? I don't understand how or what direction the seal faces. It looks like the small side goes up with the rough side of the seal facing up? Where does the end of the seal extend to? Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images

Larry,

Not sure if you have the 65 Falcon Shop Manual, but the textured side goes down (in my mind I guessed that - since you want water on top to roll off). So the short lip of the seal goes under the body flange and rolls over and towards the lower back panel, does a 180 and heads rearward again. The bumper then rests on the top of the smooth part of the seal.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Body to bumper seal

Got it. That has to be the correct way. It also covers the cut-outs in the back where the bumper brackets go through. Hooray. Thanks again Roger for all your help.

No sweat. Have book at the ready anytime.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Whoa, that is WAY different than the rear bumper/body seal I acquired, and I couldn't figure out how mine worked either. Maybe the round body seal is different than the square body seal?????

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Body to bumper seal

I got this one from Auto-Krafters. It is for the 64-65 according to their website. The pictures of the earlier years is a three part seal. The way Roger explained the installation looks good clamped to the car. I still have to figure out how to pick up the holes they used before. There were 1/8" pull fasteners in the body that I drilled out. There wasn't a seal on this car when I started the dismantling process and there are also small holes where the original evidently was held on with staples.

Quote Originally Posted by SmithKid View Post
    Whoa, that is WAY different than the rear bumper/body seal I acquired, and I couldn't figure out how mine worked either. Maybe the round body seal is different than the square body seal?????
    Gene,

The Wagon/Ranchero seal is a bit different than what Larry has with hardtop. Nothing in the book on what ours looks like installed. Also, Larry and you and I all have 64/65 body styles, so what they did on a round body I don't know off the top of my head. Others have "that book", I'm sure.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Quote Originally Posted by BadBird View Post
    I got this one from Auto-Krafters. It is for the 64-65 according to their website. The pictures of the earlier years is a three part seal. The way Roger explained the installation looks good clamped to the car. I still have to figure out how to pick up the holes they used before. There were 1/8" pull fasteners in the body that I drilled out. There wasn't a seal on this car when I started the dismantling process and there are also small holes where the original evidently was held on with staples.
    I made my own staples out of larger paper clips and installed them in the same holes -- on the hood seal (which is a similar install). Tedious work. On the rear, since it was hidden, I used stainless drill screws.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"