Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: It's the wife's fault!!!

Progress update pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Looking good! What are the four holes in the air cleaner for?
    Last edited by redfalken; August 28th, 2014 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Changed "two" to "four" holes.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Kenny

No clue.. but I'd love to know.

I think there is supposed to be baffle or a pre filter in the air cleaner. At least that's the Impression I get from the shop manual when reading the pcv section in the 63 supplement.

But I dont know because all I have is the holes.
    Last edited by Nathan289; August 29th, 2014 at 11:10 AM.
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

She's Alive!!!

Primed the oil system.

Primed the fuel..

She fired up on the third try.

I have it running and after 20 minutes of break in, I timed her, wow was I way off on her timing. Had to advance the timing like 25*.

Re torqued the head gasket.
    Checking valve lash next.
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

She's been driving.

I still have bugs to work out.

Steering wheel is 90* off.to the right to drive straight..

Biggest problem is I have a engine knock. I thought it was detonation. Might still be but its at idle and goes away if I increase rpms..

I think it goes away if I retard the timing below specs.

But I have put 10 to 15 miles on her. She runs and drives great. Temp gauge reads 1/2. Gas gauge works. Put 5 gallons in it and it reads 1/4 tank.

The wife is shopping for a 57-66 f100.. short box. Step side
    I'm doomed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

63 Super deluxe squire wagon

Mayble is back on the road! She's rolling again! Yaaaaaaaaayyy!!!!

Congratulations, Nathan! That is terrific!
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Nice...that's got to feel good Nathan...I feel like I should be hitting a like button.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

That thing's hideous!

Just kidding. But I don't envy your finding all that Squire trim, which looks pretty perished. Anytime I've seen a piece here, and a piece there, they want your first-born for it.

But it must feel good to get it this far! I would be concerned by the knock though. Hopefully it is timing.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Why are you spending all the efforts and money on a station wagon? They just are not that cool.

No... wait, they are. Lookin' great!

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

There's a website on how to restore the trim, which I'll be doing maybe this winter.
    I have all the trim, but I have a few broken pieces. I'll attempt to locate what I can. There was a set minus fenders on ebay for $300.. problem is I dont need the whole car and I could use one fender.

I have a feeling I'll be dropping the oil pan and checking rod bearings.. I got lazy and didnt check it when I assembled it. I should have.

The thing is ugly.. I got new seat foam for the buckets. Now I need to get seat material. If only falcon interiors wasn't so expensive.

Is it possible for wrist pins to knock? I had 4 frozen wrist pins and maybe my engine guy didnt resize them correctly?

You wouldn't think it would be timing knock at idle with timing set at 10* but maybe.. im taking today off from working on it.
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

One trick you can try is to pull a plug wire at a time (carefully) while it is knocking. If you pull a plug and the knock ceases, then focus on that cylinder... somewhere in the bowels of the motor. If pulling any plug causes it to cease, hire an exorcist. If pulling a plug never causes it to stop knocking, I'd consider more a main, or some other part of the motor that is working hard no matter what's happening within the ignition/spark/combustion side of things.

Sounds like you may not have plastigauged the bearings prior to assembly, but that's the only real way of knowing the machinist ground the crank correctly and that the bearings are all correct (regardless of how they are marked). I'll assume you torqued everything with a good torque wrench, and as such not mention this as a possibility.

Not sure if you disassembled/cleaned/inspected the rocker arms on this, but these are notorious for wearing the shaft badly and depending on how bad could produce an RPM-based noise.

Are you running a good oil pressure gauge or the light on the dash? Maybe you are suffering from low RPM oil pressure issues?

I'm sure you'll track it down, but I don't suspect it's the wrist-pins. You had to bore this motor out and any machinist would have addressed the connecting rods long before they installed the pistons - including sizing the rod journals and the wrist pin holes. If they didn't...
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; October 1st, 2014 at 03:27 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"