Thread: Headliner

Headliner

Well, Roger convinced me to install the headliner before I went on to the window installations.
    So, pushed the car out into the sun to warm the car up. Laid out the HL to get it nice and warm and installed the bows in the corresponding positions.
    Placed the HL into the car with the bows in the holes at each side and the wire hook pulling the #4 bow to slope towards the aft end.
    Using spring clamps I temporarily pulled the HL taught to stretch it out centering the HL in the car. Marked locations on the C/L of the car and there were notches on both ends of the HL for C/L locations.
    Started at the #2 bow and pulled the HL tight to the driver side and using contact cement I attached an area of about 12" long to that side. Then went to the passenger side and did the same thing again.
    Let that area sit for about 2 hours and then glued another 12" on both sides. Those areas are drying now.
    This is a new one for me. But what hasn't been a new experience on this car. Learned quite a bit from the TFFN site. Good pictures and step by step directions. I will follow up with the next steps and screw ups. I am sure there will be several.
    Speaking of screw ups. I made a several hundred dollar one by ordering the wrong windshield for my hardtop. I got the one for the 1960-1965 Sedans and Ranchero's. So if anyone is looking for a brand new windshield let me know. Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking good Larry. Wish I could replace mine, but I'm so hesitant to yank all the glass out again Someday, maybe.

I will say, Larry's doing a phenomenal job on this car.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

My wagon needs a headliner as the family of racoons that called it home were not kind. This is my biggest mental hurdle on the car. I'm watching your progress closely.

Jeff

It's actually not that difficult if and when the glass is all out. Tedious, yes, but not really hard.

I've sat and looked at mine, which looks more like it was stabbed at, to see if I could "fake it" while the glass is all in. And I don't think so. Larry has all the glass and rubber out, so I'm sure by the end of today we will see it in all its newness.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Headliner

Am I missing something???? Isn't there supposed to be a bulbous type material or something that goes along the edge of the window opennings down each side? I purchased my upholstery, door panels and headliner from Original Falcon Interiors and he packaged a bulb material that looks like it goes down the aft sides of the door opennings, I think. But, I sure thought something went along that upper edge. If someone has a picture of a 64-65 headliner in that location please send it to me. Thanks Larry

Can you take a picture of where you think it should go? The stuff you are describing sounds like wind lace (cloth covered foam tube with a cloth "tail" along one edge. I have a lot of this in my wagon and there was none in my buddies Mustang. You'd have to have the special little metal clips, with "claws" to have this type of material. I know, that's a poor description, but maybe Jeff can take a picture of one since he's got no headliner in at the moment.

I uploaded a picture of the stuff I'm talking about in this image. Is this the same thing you are seeing (black, no doubt)?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"