Rainier Falcons > The FalconForum  

Go Back   Rainier Falcons > The FalconForum > General Forums > Show Off Your Ride

Old 05-14-2017, 06:58 PM
Paid Chapter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post

According to the original owners manual, still with the car, the car was sold by Titus Ford in Tacoma in 1963. I'd love to find a pair of those frames, but for now... these will be from when it got traded in to William O. McKay Ford in 1965 for the next Falcon the guy had. Yeah, that's what happened.

I have a couple of stories about previous owners.
First, there was the guy who came up to it at the Greenwood show in about, um... 2003(?). He said "I know this car. I was with the girl who bought it when she bought it." He told me her name, and it was the same person I bought it from, but had a different surname. I said "Oh, yeah! Her last name is, uh..." He stopped me and said "I don't want to know." and walked off.
The other encounter was a girl at the Greenwood show a couple of years later. She said "I've driven this car. It belonged to a friend of mine." I asked who her friend was, and if I could get a chance to meet her. "No," she said "she died a few years ago."
So my story goes that the original owner sold it to the gal who passed away, the car ended up at Fred's Fine cars and the gal I bought it from bought it there... in the company of her boyfriend... whom she subsequently jilted! We'll need to figure out where the guy who got it from Wm O Mckay fits in. Maybe he's the guy that the gal who passed away got it from!
Scarebird front discs
200 w/ CI alum head
C4

Last edited by MacDee; 05-14-2017 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:02 PM
Chapter President

It is driving me a bit crazy how crazy busy I am! Right now I'm embroiled in swap meet (and tonight's club meeting) preparation, but if I'm to believe then the weather reports are looking really good for both these events as well as a test drive, real soon now. If things go well I might get this car on the road the evening after the swap meet. First stop next week will be an exhaust shop for tail-pipes.

A story of my own... I was telling someone the other day how, I realized recently that since I moved here I've had nothing but absolute anxiety when it comes to doing test drives now. And I've done quite a few since being here. Never really focused on it until recently, but I recently faced that as a real-deal issue for me. I know it is not because I don't trust my work, but for those who have never been to my place I have two driveways, one to a car port and one to my garage - and both are about a 40 foot long 10% grade from the street. So it's easy to get down them (assuming failing brakes don't make that 'too easy'), but it will not be easy - or has it ever been - to get a car that doesn't run correctly - or at all - up these hills. So I always struggle now to be absolutely sure I trust whatever it is - is going to go down and back up again. I realized when I built my Ranchero, and when I chose to part out the better of the two I bought, the only reason I chose one over the other was simply because one was running and one wasn't. Hind-sight that was a foolish move, but it was caused by this anxiety.

I need a couch.

Right now the car is surrounded by swap meet goodies I'm pulling from my loft. As I look up into my loft - it looks the same. I have too much stuff!

Gary, appreciate the history. One of the two plate frames on it was from McLendon hardware. Some previous owner must have also been a handyman!

Beerbelly, Appreciate the comments. Gary originally put new seat upholstery in, but said seat foam wasn't available then. I've gone from sitting on the floor, literally, to rubbing my head on the head-liner!

As for your pan-patch, you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes. JB-Weld seemed to be working! But there are temporary things where the problem comes when those become permanent. Or temporarily permanent! Or permanently temporary!

63 "Flarechero"
powered by: '65 289-V8 | T5 | 8" TracLoc rear
63.5 Hardtop (previously MacDee's "Freddie")
powered by: Classic Inlines 200-6 | C4 | 7.25 rear

Old 05-17-2017, 03:22 PM
Paid Chapter Member

I put on the McLendon's license frame. As I recall, the car didn't have a frame on the back, and one day McLendon's was handing out license plate frames as a promotional item, so....
Of course!
Scarebird front discs
200 w/ CI alum head
C4
Old 05-17-2017, 03:23 PM
Active Forum User

Roger, I hear you about long driveways on a grade; here's mine- 140' down to the road. After I put the Chockostang disc brakes on, it took some "manning up" to take a test drive. I had it in reverse, clutch in and one hand on the e-brake handle. No drama though- whew!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7312.JPG (248.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 05-17-2017, 10:29 PM
Chapter President

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly
here's mine- 140' down to the road.
You win!

Brake jobs are the worst, but stalling down the hill I can't tow it up without the tow vehicle being stuck between house and car. I do have a chain bolted to my loft and have pulled a car half the distance with a pair of come-along's. Wasn't fun. Should keep an eye out for a winch.

63 "Flarechero"
powered by: '65 289-V8 | T5 | 8" TracLoc rear
63.5 Hardtop (previously MacDee's "Freddie")
powered by: Classic Inlines 200-6 | C4 | 7.25 rear

Old 05-27-2017, 11:51 PM
Chapter President

Haven't I test driven it yet?!?

No, I haven't. When I got home from the swap meet last Saturday I had all the driveways clear to back it out and at least swap places with the Ranchero in the carport. So I jumped in and... it is spit and sputtered and died over and over. It's been running great for days and just when I wanted to drive it - Kreddie Kruger - came back out to play with my dreams. So, on and off this last week I pondered, and stared at it, trying to decide what to do. I determined it wasn't running out of gas. Checked all the wiring. Even got a new cap and rotor and stator for the distributor.

After swapping all those out I tried again and it spit and sputtered blowing fuel out the carb like the timing was way out of whack. Checked to see if I messed up something changing the stator, but it was installed right. I even check compression.

Then I pulled the carb off the Ranchero, but found I couldn't make it fit (Summit carb with dual fuel inlets), so after messing up the Ranchero I was at a $450 or a $300 cross-roads. Do I get a new carb or a new CDI Ignition module - or both. Or just list it on Craigslist. Then I got a wild hair and thought maybe the coil was bad. I had a couple of those square mid-80's coils and set one up temporarily - and VROOM! Only ran it a couple seconds, but it was long enough to know the issue was the coil. An Excel coil at that.

So off to the parts house because I didn't want to hassle with making a bracket for that square style coil. Then I got confused at the store what the specs needed to be, so I went home empty-handed, checked the specs, and crawled up into the loft just to make sure I didn't have a coil stashed up there. I actually found a new coil up there, so on it went.

I had been playing with the timing while it was misbehaving so I hooked up the timing light and could not get the timing mark anywhere near where it needed to be. And, as if that wasn't enough, if I hooked up the vacuum advance tube the timing retarded and it died instantly! What the heck is this thing doing! It's supposed to advance the timing when vacuum is applied, not retard it??!

So, since I knew the stator wasn't the original issue I decided to reinstall the other one again. At least get my $40 back. New wires needed to be added to the old one since they were getting pretty short from efforts to adapt it "before me," then my cleaning all that cobbled mess up a few weeks ago, and now me cutting off the connector to use with the new one today. A couple crimps later, and it was all back in; all the while convincing myself there was no way this new one I had just put on earlier could be bad. Well, it was. Once the old one was back in the car fired up, timing adjusted correctly, vacuum advance advanced the timing as it is supposed to do. And I called it quits for the day. Test drive will have to wait again.

From today on Fr$%^ie is a 4-letter word. It has no name that shall be named from now on.

63 "Flarechero"