Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Project

New Project

Picked this up a couple weeks ago from a local seller. This is my first Falcon, so I'm pretty stocked. Here's a few pics from the day that I bought her and drover her 2 hours home.

Current plans are to clean up mess that previous owners created, finish up the interior and redo the engine bay while I replace the 302 that is currently residing in there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice looking car. Replace the 302 with what?
    Scott Zimmerman

'65 Falcon Futura 2 door hardtop, 289 V8

So I'm on the fence between a 331 or 408. I'm still gathering my research on fitment issues, tranny and exhaust but I see myself leaning towards the 408. BluePrint sells a 425hp crate motor that I am interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by Corbin View Post
    So I'm on the fence between a 331 or 408. I'm still gathering my research on fitment issues, tranny and exhaust but I see myself leaning towards the 408. BluePrint sells a 425hp crate motor that I am interested in.

I'm in the process of a rebuild on my 289 and going with a 331. Another member in Yakima is also going 331. Fitment is fine there. 408 might present some problems
    Scott Zimmerman

I'm a fan of the 331. My brother had built one for his mustang that was one fun car. My thought process is that there is no replacement for displacement. While that is somewhat accurate, it all depends on the build. I too think I am going to find that I am going to run into some issues going with the 408. That may be the deciding factor for me.

Very nice looking- with lots of potential.
    What's your goal?
    Look forward to following the progress.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

My goal bounced around for awhile. For while I was looking at pro street turn key cars. Once I stumbled across this car I quickly realized a nice driver is what I was after. Paint will be changed to blue, stroker motor mini tub and a few small changes to the interior.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitanesteel View Post
    I'm in the process of a rebuild on my 289 and going with a 331. Another member in Yakima is also going 331. Fitment is fine there. 408 might present some problems
    Scott, if you don't mind me asking, are you building the 331 yourself and who is doing your machine work. I'm looking for a local builder.
    Corbin Johnson
    Roy, WA
    64 Futura
    347, C4

Quote Originally Posted by Corbin View Post
    Scott, if you don't mind me asking, are you building the 331 yourself and who is doing your machine work. I'm looking for a local builder.

Local mechanic is doing the engine build. Wouldn't want me doing it so I support the local economy. There's a couple of places in Yakima where the block will go for machining and balancing. The mechanic told me yesterday there were a couple of machine shops on the "west side" he would trust but didn't mention where they were.
    Scott Zimmerman

Scott, hows that engine coming along?
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Quote Originally Posted by dhbfaster View Post
    Scott, hows that engine coming along?

Funny you should ask. I'm on vacation in London with the family right now but on my return next week I'm going to stop by the shop and see where things are at. He was supposed to be ordering the Scat parts 3-4 weeks ago. He said not to expect the car back before October is depressing on two fronts. It's October and I'm not sure how many break in miles I'll be able to do.

I'll be ordering headers when I get back and will drop those by the shop when I get them. Decided to stay with the stock heads (I know aluminum would breathe better) but I'm trying to "control some costs" to appease my wife. And, I'm not looking for a drag car, just something I can drive regularly in nice weather.
    Scott Zimmerman

One beauty of our cars as hobbies...no deadlines that aren’t really self imposed. (Jeff told me that and he was absolutely right.)The only thing I never wanted to hear from my wife was “are you ever going to do anything with at piece of junk” and I never did. On top of that...as far as cost control- One of the beauties of a falcon is they are already one of the least expensive classics out there. Next time cost control comes up, “just be glad I didn’t get the Corvette honey”
    Don’t worry, you’ll find a dry day or two this winter to break it in, then Spring will come and you’ll wonder how you will have it ready in time for summer!
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

New Project

See, I am still checking in. Interesting reading this post. Money? I couldn't use your tactic Don because I already had the 65 vette and sold that. The money I spent on my Falcon was some of the best money I ever spent. I got back all my money and had a ball.
    I had the pleasure of doing things I had never done. I took a piece of junk and changed it into a best of show winner and all it took was money and a heck of a lot of work.
    Dreamers in Everett saw my car and said to build that car would cost $75,000. But when you do it all yourself, the costs are for parts. Lots of parts. You can count your time as money, but I guarantee, you won't get that money back. The car was started so I could do things that I didn't know how to do and I learned a lot. Body work, welding, painting, fiberglass, color buff and sanding (yuck). Repairing everything that will and does go wrong. Electrical (double yuck). And through it all, I made some really neat friends that I will always remember. They gave time, advice and help. Friends. That may be the best thing I got out of the car. Thanks to you all and I plan on staying close to this club.
    There is one thing I learned during the process. Take your time and when you want to do a certain task, wait until you have the money to do that task. I didn't have the money when kids were at home. Had to wait until I retired. Compromise is a way of saying you lose. Keep the faith Scott and best of luck with your beautiful car.
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Yep, I agree with all that Larry. Loved all of it, and it ended up bringing the family closer together- and all the great friends and community from the club too, and it really got my mind off work. Scott...I do agree, better to go slower and do it the way you really want it. Otherwise...you might end up doing it twice.
    I didn’t have to wait until I was retired, but did wait until I could afford it - at least at a certain pace- I had all my other cars paid for so I just thought of it as a car payment.
    Larry, when I get back and finish the radio and the windows Ill have to drive over and we’ll go for a spin. It feels like every time I drive it it’s breaking in a little more and running better and better.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Update

So I decided to go with the 347. I had Johnson's Machine down in Lacey/Tacoma build it and I have to say it was a pleasurable experience. Communication was excellent along with his knowledge of Ford motors. They broke it in on the dyno and is now currently residing on the stand next to the car.

While the motor was out I had Thurston County Transmission go through the C4. Again I feel like I was lucky work with another company who I had a good experience with. Being that I am new to Washington, one of my biggest fears was trying to find good, reputable shops to complete the work that I needed done to the car.

I took advantage of an empty engine bay and sanded everything down and painted it. I was cussing at whoever used some sort of rubber undercoating spray inside the entire bay. After a lot of elbow grease and time, it's looking like new again.

I ordered my Doug's headers the first week of November and finally received them 4 days short of four months. I sure hope that they were worth the wait.

Motor and tranny is going in tomorrow and if all goes well with the motor install and alternator swap, I hope to turn the key by Sunday.
    Corbin Johnson
    Roy, WA
    64 Futura
    347, C4