Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine Rebuild

200 or 250 are all the same head so it wouldn't matter as long as the year is right..

I doubt you'll find a 170 any year after 1970.. so just watch the casting numbers on the head..

C = 1960 the number that comes after would be the year..
    so a c6 would be a 1966..
    D= 1970
    E= 1980

so if you want the golden head you would want a D8..

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Get the newest head you can find. Ford continued to improve it throughout production.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

The 144/170ci both have three(3) frost plugs on the side of the block.
    The 200/250ci have five (5).

144/170/200ci have a three (3) bolt water pump.
    250ci has a four (4) bolt water pump.

I don't know a good way to tell the 144 and the 170 apart.

Some of the later 200ci blocks (I'm talking 80's) have the starter in a different position. The heads are the same, jus beware if you are buying a block to rebuild.

oldford63 Guest

Smile

Thanks to all of you for your help. Having you guys to talk to is the best resorce I have.

I can't wait to get out to the junk yard Monday. It will be ok even if I cannot find what I need because that will only mean I will get to go back. There is something about that place, just walking through it makes me feel wonderful. Even if I do score it will be a while before I can get started.

The contractors are breaking ground on my new shop today. The crew should be here at ten o'clock. Having a shop in my back yard has been a life long dream of mine. Now that I am over 50 I am finally realizing that dream. My Dad had a shop in our back yard when I was a kid and he and my uncles built hot rods and fixed the family cars back there. They worked on cars, drank Dixie beer, and played Hank William on the turn table.

Hope you guys don't mind me going on,
    Guy

If you were closer you would have all of us drinking beer in your new shop and giving you pointers, arguing about which electronic ignition system is best. Sounds like some great memories.

Quote Originally Posted by oldford63 View Post
    ... They worked on cars, drank Dixie beer, and played Hank William on the turn table.
    "There's a tear in my beer...."

Sounds like a dream come true to me! I like the city life but somedays wish I had a nice shop with plenty of room to work on my projects.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Well I hate to tell you this but for years my falcon sat in the rain,then I made it fit in my old garage, had to make it longer to cover the back end. then years later I built a 3 car garage thats 26x32, for the falcon, the PT cruiser and the 85 svo that I have, with a gas furnace, tv, stereo,computer, lights,and a old carpet on the floor. it's almost like home, falcons are always welcome to come by to bench race or just chat...john h

oldford63 Guest

Smile

The crew dug out three sides for the footers and put all the boards up for the cement. They will not be back till Monday because of the holiday weekend. The shop will be 24x28. I have already started inviting friends over to wrench (and drink a few) on their rides when my shop is done. I sure wish we had a Falcon club over here!

On with my engine rebuild plans. I have been thinking about the 1-barrel 2-barrel issue. Instead of trying to make a 2-barrel fit with the stock 1-barrel air cleaner I am thinking of using a 1-barrel carb off of a 250ci engine. The 1-barrel from a 250ci engine should flow more CFM than the 1-barrel off my 170ci. Does anyone know CFM specs for these carbs or if the carbs are even interchangable?

What do you guys think? Hey, I know some of my ideas are crazy so if this is a crazy one just yet me know. Am I barking up the wrong tree or will this give me the flow I need to feed a 200 cylinder head?

Thanks for you time,
    Guy

Source: "The Ford Falcon - Six Cylinder Performance Handbook"

YF Carter: 1967 - 1979 (rated @ 150 CFM on 170ci and 187 CFM on 200ci)

RBS Carter: 1970-1972 - 250ci engine rated at 215 CFM

Autolite 1100 had three different models used on 144,170,200. The 250 used a 1101 and rated at 210 CFM

The larger base on 200/250 carbs would require adaptation to use on earlier heads. Look for the larger bore hole found on newer heads.

Kenny has had good luck with his two barrel and using his adapter plate.

You really ought to look at Kenny's setup for his carb. He did a really nice job on it. I think he may have links on his site. I think... I guess I should have looked first.

OK - I looked -- no pictures. Kenny, you should take some pictures. Pictures are good.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; April 10th, 2009 at 11:13 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"