Thread: Distributor???

Distributor???

can any one tell me if the distributor from a 144 or 170 is the same as the one in a 200??? I have an electronic ignition distributor from a 200 I want to try in the 144. thanks Steve...

Different. The 170 has the little hex on the end (1/4" I think) to drive the oil pump and the 200 has the larger (5/16"?). There may be other differences but if you are not turning your oil pump... it is purely academic at that point.

I think the 144 is the same as the 170.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Thanks Jeff. That is the consensus I have been getting. Oh well I will just have to keep tinkering with the one I have to see if it is causing the problems.
    Motor seems to run smooth at higher RPM (1500+) and stumbles and backfires at idle?? Everything new except the insides of the dist.

What were the results of your weekend compression test?

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA

Got side tracked. Had a car show on Sunday in the rain (yea!!!) Saturday was spent getting all my stuff ready for the booth at the show.
    Then I put the front brakes on the delivery. This Saturday I am going to the good guys show. My friend is letting me drive his 64 sport fury!!! Sunday will be lawn mowing day (5 Acres) so probably won't get much done on cars for a bit. I will post it up as soon as I get it done.
    In the mean time I am keeping my eyes open for a 200..

So change oil pumps and oil pump drive shaft and then you can use the dizzy.

If you ever rebuild an early 6 you'll find the oil pumps that come in engine kits to be wrong.

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Steve, do you still need a good 170 distributor? I can send my old working one over with Brian next week.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA

Thanks Jeff, It looks like I was having a fuel delivery issue. I think some critters got down into the intake manifold and built a house. Seems the more fuel I dump down her throat the better it seemed to want to run.
    I picked up a 200 6 yesterday with an auto trans for $150. Compression was at 165ish on all cylinders. I am going to swap that in there. Maybe no the auto, I think it is the Ford-O-matic 2 speed. I will look for a c-4 to fit the 200.
    I appreciate the offer for the distributor, it is nice to be part of a club where everyone is helping the other guy's.
    I should have the Van running by months end, so hopefully I can drive it over for the next meeting and down to the regional!!

Thanks everyone for your help!!