Thread: Rebuilding a distributor?

Rebuilding a distributor?

Does anyone have any advice on how to go about rebuilding, or having re-built, an original 50-something year old Ford distributor?

This is an original 1963 Ford distributor for a 260 V-8 with a Ford-O-Matic.

ORIGINAL FORD Early 221 260 289 FOMOCO C3AF-12127-U DISTRIBUTOR SBF.jpg

I looked around on the internet for a re-build kit and did not find one.
    I also looked for shops that rebuild distributors and was left confused.

Has anyone had a distributor rebuilt and were you pleased with the result?

What shop did you use?

Thanks, Dennis.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Dennis,

Most of the issue you will have, if any, will be the shaft-to-body clearance. Not sure if these bushings, and or shaft, are around easily. I know you can buy refurbished distributors, but not sure if the parts they use are available piecemeal.

If the shaft isn't too worn, you might consider taking it apart and rebuilding it yourself. All it really requires is driving out the roll pin holding the drive gear on. Then a good cleaning, and reassembly in reverse order.

Do you use points or Pertronix?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

My 99-cent Distributor

[QUOTE=ew1usnr;21564]This is an original 1963 Ford distributor for a 260 V-8 with a Ford-O-Matic. ORIGINAL FORD Early 221 260 289 FOMOCO C3AF-12127-U DISTRIBUTOR SBF.jpg

I won the e-bay bid! Actually, mine was the only bid and the bids started at ninety-nine cents.

ORIGINAL FORD Early 221 260 289 FOMOCO C3AF-12127-U DISTRIBUTOR SBF

E-bay purchase 0.99-cents.JPG

The "U" at the end on the code code indicates that the distributor if for all 1963 Fords 260 V-8s with a Ford-O-Matic transmission:

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I can get a new O-ring, vacuum advance, and drive gear (if needed) at any auto parts store.

OReeilly Distributor Mounting Gasket 5511 5987.49.JPG

OR Distributor Vacuum Advance V306 .99.JPG

I have seen references for bushings but have not located one yet.

Distributor Bushings.JPG
    Last edited by ew1usnr; November 15th, 2016 at 02:54 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Nice score for less that $10 total!

When you go to tear it apart make sure you clean the gears and shafts good and you see some roll-pins you need to drive out (and save) to pull the shaft out the top. When it's all cleaned just check the side play between the shaft and body and you may not need to do new bushings. Chances are good that if the bushings are bad the shaft may have similar wear too.

Fingers crossed.

s-l1600.jpg
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    Nice score for less that $10 total! When you go to tear it apart make sure you clean the gears and shafts good and you see some roll-pins you need to drive out (and save) to pull the shaft out the top. When it's all cleaned just check the side play between the shaft and body and you may not need to do new bushings. Chances are good that if the bushings are bad the shaft may have similar wear too. Fingers crossed.

s-l1600.jpg
    Hello, Roger.

Thanks for labeling the photo to show the location of the two pins. That is helpful. After I get the distributor I will to to Home Depot and get a correct-sized punch to remove the pins. This will be a fun project. I may have "jumped the gun", but I have already ordered a couple of parts:

Fel-Pro distributor mount O-ring No. 5511 from Pep Boys for $1.12. “This part fits your 1963 Ford Falcon”. The part will be ready for pick up on 11/18.

Pep Boys Fel-Pro O-ring 5511.jpg

Carquest by BWD Distributor Vacuum Advance Control, Part No. V309, from Advance Auto for $23.99 - 10% = $21.59. “Exact fit for your 1963 Ford Falcon”. “CARQUEST by BWD is an aftermarket leader, providing a premium line of engine management products. Product Features: Precision calibration to ensure correct ignition advance. Units tested at 30HG maximum vacuum to ensure units do not leak. A premier manufacturer serving the automotive aftermarket since 1919, we deliver the highest quality and best coverage to meet your ignition needs. Product Applications: 1963 Ford Falcon. OE No. C0AF-D, E, C1SF-A; Dist. No. C3AF-U, AB, AF, AG, AH; Dist. No. C2OF-H, C2AF-A, D, AD.” This part is listed as being compatible with a C3AF-12127-U distributor. It will be ready for pick up tomorrow.

Advance Auto BWD V309.jpg

I found a 2014 catalog from a shop called Mustang Barn that listed distributor bushings:

Mustang Barn Distributor Parts.JPG

I wondered why there was not a more recent catalog, and then found this announcement saying that the Mustang Barn was no longer selling retail parts. Darn it!

Announcement from Mustang Barn.JPG

You had asked if I were using PerTronix ignition. Yes, along with a PerTronix Flamethrower coil. Over the last couple of months, I installed a new air filter, advanced the timing six degrees, and installed a new coil to cap wire, distributor cap and rotor, and a new set of Autolite spark plugs. I gapped the spark plugs 0.005" wider (up from 0.035" to 0.040") to take advantage of the extra available voltage from the PerTronix system. Wow! The Wonder Falcon is running the best it ever has right now. The engine idles so smoothly and quietly that it feels like I am driving a Tesla electric car. It really is incredible. It accelerates just as smoothly and quietly as it idles. It is like flying on a magic carpet. I do not even need to touch the gas pedal to start the car. I just turn the key and it starts instantly. I wish that I could loan you the keys so that you could take it take it for a test drive. I can't believe how nicely this car runs.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; November 16th, 2016 at 06:37 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Dennis,

The Pertronix can tolerate more shaft wear that points can, as long as it's not real bad. You have oilers on these early distributors, though it's not clear anybody ever squired oil into them. Just saying to check what play you have in that shaft/bushing setup before you worry too much about replacing them.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"