Thread: Engine Build

Smile Engine Build

Hello to everyone,

I have a 1963 Futura that I pulled the 170ci engine out of last weekend. I am rebuilding this block because it is the original. My goal is to build an engine with a little more torque than stock with a compression ratio of 8.6/1 to 8.8/1. This car is my daily driver. Block code (C3DE-6015-E).

I have two heads to choose from for my rebuild. Both out of Faremounts, (D7BE-6080-AB) or (D8BE-6090-BA). Which one do you recommend?

I want to use CompCam (K65-236-4 260H) for 7.808 deck height blocks.
    Is this the height of my block? Will this Cam Kit work well for my application?

I want to use Fel-Pro (QKS 2300) gasket kit set. What is the compressed thickness? If I deck the block .005 useing this gasket how much do I need to mill the head for the desirered compression ratio?

When I went to the junk yard I got the exhaust manifolds from the two heads above, but both were damaged. Where can I get a new exhaust manifold for the head I will be using?

Both Faremount heads have larger carb mounting holes. Where can I get a new one barrel carb that will fit the larger holes? I want to use a one barrel so I can retain the use of the original air cleaner.

All help is greatly appreaciated,
    Guy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Guy Monjure; July 25th, 2011 at 10:18 AM.

Guy,

First of all, your garage is far too neat and organized. You will have to work on that.

I don't have a lot of answers to your questions, since it would probably take a lot of math to figure all that out. I seriously doubt it has all been written down in one place specifically as asked. There is a book we all use and recommend, which I have as do others (not here with me at the moment) on rebuilding and modifying these in-line 6's. I would highly recommend it. The guy's name is Dennis Shnuglediushfds (or something like that) and it is sold all over the place.

You could also go to a few web sites; like Classic Inlines and FordSix.com (look in our resources page - found in your "Home menu" top-left) and browse around there.

I know the exhaust manifolds are re-popped because they still use them in Nicuragua or some such place. I found out last night mine is toast too, so I will be searching my parts bin to see if I kept mine from the wagon when I went over to headers. I don't want to add the expense of headers, but that is an option you have, which would be a nice boost for what you are doing. Clifford makes these.

Carbs are made for that new head with the larger base-plate. Whether they kept that same little air cleaner or increased it, I don't know, for sure. But you are getting bigger valves with these heads, and it will probably want to breathe more than the stock 170 carb did. You may have to keep the top of the air cleaner and modify the bottom of it.

Others here may know more than me too. I'm sure they'll ring in when they can.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Here's a link to the book Roger describes. I would definitely order one as it will answer most of your questions and some you didn't know you had. It will give you lots of good ideas and ways to spend your money!

http://www.falcon6handbook.com/

I think most of the big Falcon vendors sell exhaust manifolds. I would consider headers though unless you're after a factory look.

D7XXXX and newer heads (1977 - 1983) should be the same so either of the ones you have should be about as good as you'll get without some modification.

Welcome and don't listen to Roger...he hasn't seen the actual interior walls of his garage in years!!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Smile

Thanks,

I have a copy of that booklet and have read through it many times. It is a great book, and one of the reasons I have choosen to take on the project of putting a 1978 200ci head onto my 1963 170ci block.

I found out from Fel-Pro that the head gasket in their QKS 2300 Gasket Kit for my 1963 170ci has a compressed thickness of .039". I learned from that booklet the OEM seal gasket has a compressed thickness of .025".

I also got with Comp Cam today and am thinking about installing their K65-235-4 kit. Has anyone used this kit on a build?

Both the 1977 and the 1978 heads have non-adjustable rockers and 8 5/16" pushrods. The 1963 head from my engine has 8 1/16" pushrods and adjustable rocker arms. I believe I can install the adjustable rocker arms from the 1963 onto the 1978 head but does anyone know what size pushrod I should use on my rebuild?

I wonder if anyone in our chapter or in the FCA has ever completed an engine build like this one. Or maybe there is an old thread on a past rebuild.

Thank you for your responces,
    Guy

Quote Originally Posted by redfalken View Post
    ... and don't listen to Roger...he hasn't seen the actual interior walls of his garage in years!!
    Exactly! I enjoy wandering around in circles for a half-hour saying "I know I have that in here somewhere."

I think the only one here, besides Kenny, who's actually done much work on their 6 is Gary (he's the one with the ignition queries of late). But he used a Classic In-lines head. He did do a lot of research in the beginning. My wagon engine is still as it was when I bought it - with the exception of headers, a new carb, and Pertronix ignition. I would think as long as you have adjustable rockers, the range they offer give you more push-rod length flexibility. You just need to make sure the ends are the right types.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"