Thread: Electrical Problems

Electrical Problems

I was wondering if anyone knew how to switch the 61' Falcons Negative electrical over to positive?

I was also wondering if anyone knew what time of bolt/plug/screw went into the tailgate on Rancheros to hold it in place.

Thanks!

Hey Amanda,

To polarize the generator you need to disconnect the field and battery wires from the regulator and touch them together for just a moment. Just one second will do it. You usually only have to do this if you put in new brushes (or pole shoes).

There should be a "B" an "F" and an "A" marked on the regulator next to where the wires connect.

B = Battery
    F = Field
    A = Armature

Sorry I don't know specifics on the Ranchero. Maybe someone else does??

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Actually...I should add that if you do this you should be really careful and make sure you understand the electrical system. If your system is actually running on a positive ground it's hard to tell what a previous owner might have done to get things working.

A lot can get screwed up over 40+ years!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

All Falcons are negative ground unless someone installed the battery poles wrong bu accedent. Follow the cables. The negative cable should attach to the engine top front of the engine (if it's an L6) and the possitive connects to the starter solinoid.

Assuming they are connected wrong, you need to correct the cables as above. Then use the procedure that Kenny stated above. The engine will turn so keep clear.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Amanda,

May be a stupid question, but what's the reason for asking about the polarity change? Is there something happening? Battery not charging?

As for the tailgate question, can you be a bit more specific about what you are needing to do? Don't worry about being overly wordy... I do it all the time. It never hurts. I have a wagon, so I may know or have what it is you need, but can't fully grasp the need.

Thanks-
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"