Thread: Carb and Distributor Suggestion?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Carb and Distributor Suggestion?

Hello,

I have a 61 that I'm about to drop a 200 engine out of a 64 into. The rebuilt 200 needs a carb and a new distributor. When I bough the rebuilt 200 it had a 2 barrel carb adapter plate on it.....I think I want to utilize this, so does anyone have any suggestions on what carb to buy for it? Also any suggestions on a good HEI distributor for this engine too? Pics below that show the 2 barrel adapter plate.

thanks,
    Andrew
    Attached Images Attached Images

Use a Weber 32/36 carb and a Ford DuraSpark II distributer with either the factory Ford control box or an MSD 6A.

http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/32-3...22680.033b.htm

There are several variations of this carb so do some research.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

You can't see a lot in that picture, but it says a lot. You may already have a Duraspark II distributor. The rotor is not from an early distributor. The log on the head may be later 250 head, but would need to see date code part number on the rear-ward side. It looks flattish like the 250 head, but may not be as flat as I think. The carburetor adapter appears to be for a 2100 style Autolite or a Holley 2 barrel, so it would need some slight mods to adapt the Weber. The biggest tell of what "may be" inside is based upon the Clifford 6=8 valve cover. You may have a real jewel there, or someone adding bling. Look in the exhaust port and see if they put the port divider in there, or if the 3rd and 4th exhaust ports are on huge opening.

Do you plan to just run the motor as is or look under and in to see what you really have?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Roger & Patrick,

Yeah I think I do already have a duraspark on there, but its missing the cap and the adapter cup is cracked too. I've attached another picture showing the distributor side of the engine.

If the carb adapter plate is suited for either an Autolite 2100 or a Holley 2 barrel, would I be okay using one of those instead of the Carter?

I can definitely peak into the exhaust port and see what's going on in the engine. I know the guy I bought the engine from said it had a lot more money in it that what he sold it to me for.

And yeah I plan on running the motor as is. Never really thought to look in there. It's been completely rebuilt and gone over. Just a little dusty.

thanks,
    Andrew
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Notar61; March 8th, 2017 at 12:30 PM.

Andrew,

You can use the Duraspark II Distributor withmoe conventional cap rotor style if you can't track down a HEI style cap adapter. Here's the example on Rock Auto:

CAP: http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/f...butor+cap,7120

ROTOR: http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/f...tor+rotor,7136

If you want to shop local, look at '75-ish Maverick with DSII but before they went to the big cap.

Without seeing more of what they did to the log on the head to adapt to the two barrel, hard to know all your options, but what it has been adapted for is your standard Ford 2 barrel (60's style, not the progressive Weber style, which came in the late 70's on smaller 4-cylinder cars). Depending on what they did to it, it may enjoy a 2 barrel over a Weber, but you can probably drill holes in that plate for a Weber if you want a progressive 2 barrel.

The exhaust port divider is referenced on this page:

http://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCa...rd-headers.htm

Happy investigating!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"