Page 50 of 60 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: Reconstruction has begun.

The shiny one is brand new fresh out of the box NOS grill and headlight buckets.
    They were a gift to me from a good friend!
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

No brain'er then. I'd say you have a very good friend.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Hmmmm..... I think I'd Like to get to know your friend.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Reconstruction has begun.

This brings up some issues that I worked through on my Falcon. I originally was going to send my grill out to get it bright dip anodized. But, the cost of over $1100 with shipping was ridiculous.

I removed all the old anodizing with oven cleaner, fixed all the little dents and then sanded all the way to 3000 grit. Polished it on my buffing wheel, which is very hard on a 64 grill. It tries to catch and bend the aluminum.
    Then I coated it with a material that Boeing invented to hold the polish. It looked okay, but not the way I wanted.
    I finally took the grill to Tucson and had it chrome plated for $200 and since I couldn't get black paint to stick on the chrome I used vinyl decal material. It is holding up very well but the draw back on chrome is it won't take a dent. The chrome will chip off. Hasn't happened yet, but if it does, it will just go back to Tucson.
    So my vote is for the NOS bling. Looks great and everyone needs friends like that.
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Well I'll let the cat out of the bag. It was a gift from one of our members here. Gina K. Was the good friend that hooked me up with the grill. She said the same thing that the delivery deserved the chrome. Needless to say I was tickled to death as I had been looking for a good grill for a few years now.
    I think the car looks awesome and can't wait for the show season to start up again. I do have a few small things to do but at least now I'm shiny!!
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Steve -

Trying to help a new user (off forum) with a safe-n-sane build for his daughter. Can you post information about where the brake booster came from?

Also, still patiently awaiting a reply to the yesterday morning PM.

Thanks-
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Nevermind on the booster info. Re-read the thread and saw ABS Brake. But still need the other answer...
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Quick update for y'all. I finally worked through my drivability issue. The one that I thought was my car bouncing off the rev limiter at about 4300 rpm. It turns out there is a wire at the number three prom on the computer that requires start/crank voltage only. I was getting voltage in the run position as well. Apparently this wire is to retard the timing when cranking it to make for an easier start. A quick reroute of the power supply to this wire for correct voltage only at the crank /start cycle and BAM I can now turn 6250 rpm like the computer is set for. Not only that with the wire corrected my timing is also corrected and she is quick. Amazing what a few degrees of timing can do.
    Now if I can just get my steering fixed?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

I meant to reply to this before and forgot to. Glad to hear it's running right now. Almost wanna go for a ride in it.

The Ford DuraSpark II setup has this same crank-mode timing change setup, and clearly having that on all the time would be no good. Especially when a computer was controlling everything else.

I read somewhere - I wish I knew where - about power steering racks and how they needed a restriction in the pressure-side to keep the rack from being over-sensitive to movement. A quick Google turned up a lot of hits. Here's one site's post:

The over boosted feeling can happen when you adapt a system using a pump from say a steering box system. It has a different base line pressure; the base line pressure is a minimum pressure where steering response of the torsion bar / spool valve combination starts to assist. Passenger car steering systems range from approximately 30 – 200 psi base line pressure depending on if it is a steering box or rack & pinion pump / valve combination. If you have an over sensitive, twitchy feel here is what you can do to determine one possible solution.
    • With the car running, brake set, tires clear of curbs or obstructions and the engine at its normal idle with the steering wheel centered, turn the wheel to the stop one way.
    • You should notice some feel or resistance just as you begin to turn.
    • As you continue to turn you should feel progressively increasing resistance until you hit the stop.
    If this is not the case you may have too high of a baseline pressure. SpeedDirect offers a kit for GM pumps that will allow adjustment of the bypass pressure.

Another site:

What is Power Steering Pump Pressure & Flow?
    The principle of power steering pressure and flow is that it must match the steering system you have. Any old power steering pump will not necessarily work with your steering system. A Rack & Pinion requires a lower pressure, lower flow pump, as opposed to power steering boxes, which require a higher pressure, higher flow pump. A typical problem is that one experiences over-steer, or super sensitive steering with a power rack & pinion. The rack and pinion is not bad, it is the pump, there is too much pressure and flow. Pressure reducing valves are not an effective way to fix the pump, these valves do not reduce the flow at all. A different pump is required, keeping in mind most pumps look exactly alike but there are many different internal configurations even with in the same model such as with the GM Type II pump.

EPS?

I posted something elsewhere about EPS (Electric Power Steering) which I'm seriously considering for the Ranchero. I have most of the bits having pulled it all for testing to see if I can fit it into the '69 Mustang. It would have been tight, but the Falcon (or an earlier Mustang) has more room for it.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"