Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Saving Granddad's Falcon

Tail light pics...of course, the yellow paint is not required. I also have new gaskets, and the lens. Just need this bucket housing part. Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Back to the carb...trying to find the carb kit. So, dumb question of the week, how can I confirm which carb I have?
    According to Phil Barbers rules page"

Notes on the Holley Carburetor 1904, 1908, and 1909 models

*The 1904 was used on 1960 Falcons and can be recognized by its glass float bowl (some may be zinc vs. glass). *All 1960 & 1961 Falcons had manual chokes.

*In 1961 the Falcon got the 1908 model

*The 1909 was used on 1962 144/170 falcons. (it is physically tiny compared to the others)

So...according to this my 61 should have a 1908 carb, not a 1904 as I thought previously.
    However, looking at pics on google, it looks like a 1904, not a 1908.
    Shouldn't it say that on the carb somewhere?
    Below are pics of the only two numbers I can find:
    Series is AOD and Type is OAD
    Then on the bowl, there is a number that I believe is "6R 1833" That's the only identification I see.
    Appreciate your help.
    Last edited by dhbfaster; April 9th, 2015 at 10:40 PM.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Don sorry running my *** off and forgot to look. But I'm sure I have a bucket in better shape than that. I WILL check tonight.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Ok I have two. Both are in great shape as far as no dent dings or bends.
    Number one is a NOS unit but I'm not sure I want to give that one up.
    Number two is in great shape just not as clean and shiny. I could run it through the glass bead cabinet to clean it up. That one is free if you need it. We may have to talk if you are after the new one!
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Back of number one.

Plus on a side note anyone using an iPhone or iPad you can only post one pic at a time due to the I product listing them all as jpeg. Thus the site recognizes it as the same picture instead of multiple pics. So here we go.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Front of number two.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Back of number two.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Carb kit

The Tomco kit has the 1904 and 1908 bits. I can't tell which you have from those images, but it doesn't matter since the kit covers both. Here's one place selling that kit.

http://www.carburetion.com/Products/...x?part=KT-5105

Good luck.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Steve...that NOS is a beauty but you are a tease man!! My account is running low, but I hope we can work something out.

Roger...thanks for the help on the carb kit.

My buddy has all my door handles and window cranks...replating here was so high $$$$ for these, I decided to buy some new Ford licensed handles instead...at $60 each. Got them and they were horrible! I guarantee the original plating was much better and these were NOT Ford quality. So I returned those and I sent all my old ones to a buddy of mine to get done and the price is right. He sent me a picture-attached...he said they are beautiful and should be true OEM quality. We'll see if it works out...if so, maybe I can help out some other club members.
    Last edited by dhbfaster; June 1st, 2015 at 07:08 AM.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Whew...Back from too much world travel and crazy work stuff, so: Updates...

Found a tail lamp on ebay that (I haven't received yet, but it) looks really nice... Lots of other small stuff done too and last missing parts found.

Phil says the car will be painted by the end of the week (tomorrow). He will still have some work after that...but:

Plan is to pick it up on the weekend of May 16th. I want to bring it back in a covered trailer rather than the open uhaul (I prefer not to mess it up before it gets home!)...I found a friend that says I can borrow his 3/4 ton truck with electric brake controller, but I need to find an enclosed car hauler trailer. I did find a rental, but if anyone has a covered trailer available for that weekend...it would be great if I could work something out $$ win-win to keep it in the family.

After I get it home...next is heater, carpet, dash, then I will probably try to get the seats in (my wife will be happy for me to get them out of the house.) I have a bunch of family coming for my sons HS graduation weekend of June 6....including my Dad- it will be great for him to see the car getting this close.

After that...brake lines, dual master, and then the engine & tranny needs to go back in- I hope sometime in June. Roger, it sounds like you are going to be too busy...but I could sure use some help from someone that's done this before...and I'm not too sure if it's too early to plan the date or not- but I'm throwing it out there for a weekend in June if a mentor is available.

Then at some point comes startup (hopefully not blow up-it would be great to have a mentor for that too)....my goal is to make it to the mini...we'll see!

If there are any recommendations about the order of reassembly...all advice appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Exciting times Don. We'll keep the door open for you as much as I can. Would love to participate in that. I am really hoping beyond hope I will be back to a normal me by then. Or as I told Lila, the abnormal normal me.

There are specific things you should install before others. Generally speaking you don't want things in the way while you are putting something else in. Headliner, for sure, before any glass. Floor, firewall panels, carpet, before heater. Steering column before brakes. Stuff like that. Will be easier to install brake and fuel lines before the motor and tranny, etc.

Just keep us posted as you have been and we'll play it by ear. Would love to see a fresh Falcon at the mini too!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"