Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: uh-oh i'm in trouble

I've been reading on Mad, which is a good resource for GM alternators. I can't find where you said they allow you to connect a charge light. I see a mention that the regulators are the same, but is there a cap to expose that?

Still looking as I can, but pictures help. You may also need to physically trace where wires come from, go to, then return.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Maybe it wasnt on mad's website then.

Some where I read you tap into the r terminal. They were also showing an older one wire gm alternator that had a removeable plug on the side that exposes two terminals.

I need to find the charge indicator wire on the truck. Should be yellow with black stripe.
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan289 View Post
    Look what I found behind a headliner in a 63 f100 at the junkyard today.
    its a movie poster from a drive in from Lovell, WY dated june 1964 .
    The Incredible Mr. Limpit

Kenny's favorite movie!

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    The Incredible Mr. Limpit

Kenny's favorite movie!
    A close second to "It Happened At The World's Fair".

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

We think its a pretty neat piece of history. We framed it and hung it in the library with all the other auto memorabilia.
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

Roger
    Still need to take pictures.. oops..

I did notice something though. The amp gauge will read amp out put while cranking but not when running? Sounds like the alternator is wired to the wrong side of the starter solenoid, except its not wired to it.

On the back firewall is an isolator that has all sorts of big battery cables running to it.. something to do with Ford running all the power through the amp meter then back..

As for my charging light.. it doesn't work because I have power at both wires in the bulb socket..

Now I'm really concerned.. fireball waiting to happen, maybe?

I need to cut open the harness and figure out were they have the alternator routed too. Sounds like it might be in the wrong spot.
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

Who knows after all these years. These are so simple to pull, untape, fix, and reinstall - I do it on almost everything I touch. I read somewhere about the way the regulator feeds the dummy light, which might point to having power to both leads, but if I understand correctly - you have nothing connected to the regulator, or don't have a regulator at all now.

Yes, pictures may help.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

We have brothers from another mother now...

Have been lamenting over my current truck for a while - needing work, but not feeling the truck deserves it. So for months have been looking and waiting for the right replacement to come across the CL. Late Friday night one showed up (had been listed for a month, but somehow missed it) and I sent email, looked at it Saturday and after a little time to walk away and sleep on it - made an offer and will be getting it soon. It's a 66 Custom Cab, which according to the VIN and data code came with a 352 and 3 speed. Has a C6 automatic now.

Supposed to be a trade-in at Bickford Ford at some point in the past, it's 99% straight and has only minimal surface rust - apart for some holes in the front of the bed due to a bed gas tank retaining stuff under it. It's been sitting a little while, but runs really good (so far). Supposed to be a 390 in it now, but not 100% sure about that. Matters not. Apart from a cruddy gas tank and unknowns like brakes, it looks like all the original paint and most will polish up. Plan to leave that alone. Will be doing all the 'safety' things before driving it, but it's good survivor truck!

Will also allow me to sell the '67 I have as a running/driving truck.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"