Thread: From a 6 to a 8

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

From a 6 to a 8

looking for someone who has exchanged a six to a eight. What transmission are you using? What if any modes that had to be made?

Hey Bryan, helps to know what you're working with to begin with. The 60-65 can accept a SBF (260-302) with readily available engine mounts. There are used as well as reproduction mounts for this. Exhaust systems are readily available. Later model Falcons are a bit of an enigma, but there are sources for updating them if that's what you're dealing with.

I have done both automatic, 4-speed and now 5-speed swaps. Though swapping in an automatic can be easier I think the reward and feel of a manual transmission outweigh that. Knowing whether you are currently with clutch or automatic helps narrow down explaining what swap you may be up against under the dash too.

Budget and local parts availability can also play a huge role. When you use "Aloha" as a location, one has to assume you live in Hawaii, which means parts are not plentiful locally, but if you are in-fact in the lower 48, you'll have an easier time of it.

Rear-end and front suspension swaps should be considered here too. I've known people who leave 6 cyl steering and rear-end parts in for a while, but they're not robust enough for that weight addition or increased horsepower and should be the foundation for what's to come rather than an afterthought. If you go through my Ranchero thread (long thread), which shows a V8 suspension first followed by the V8/automatic swap later followed by T5 swap after that, you'll see I found a V8 car to buy all of the parts from. That might be a worthwhile thing to keep an eye out for.

Hope this is helpful.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

What I'm waiting doing with

Thanks for your reply, it's been helpful.
    I have a '62 Tudor, I bought a '76 Granada for a donor car. I salvaged the 302 engine, C4 transmission, rearend, drive shaft, front spindles and disk brakes.
    I had the transmission rebuilt with a shift kit installed.
    I got the frame engine mounts and the motor mounts. I'm just not sure where the frames mounts are positioned.

Thanks for your words of wisdom

Bryan B

Advice

I'm actually in beaverton Or. or my part is Aloha.

Oregon, that does say Aloha to me. : )

So, did your mount-set include all 3 parts for each side? You should have the frame mount (with 3 holes to bolt to the shock tower), the intermediate mount (sort of a 45 degree angle piece with a stud on one side), and the engine mount (the part with the rubber mounts to envine)? If so, the 3- hole mounts go on the base of the shock tower in the front facing side. The rubber engine mounts have different numbers and should go on a specific side, but I've never mesmerized the numbers/sides. You can go to Rock Auto and they'll list numbers and relative sides. The intermediate angle bracket pieces are left/right specific toox but best to orient these so engine is most rearward. Swap left for right and engine will move fore/aft almost an inch. You want more radiator clearance.

Not sure what the measurements are for the Grenada relative to the Falcon, but many use the spindles. I understand they induce more bump-steer, so that is one caveat to their use. You will still want to get all the V8 steering stuff though.

You're gonna have a ton of fun. Be sure to post some pics of your ride and progress.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"