Thread: Grille repair

Dan Guest

Grille repair

I have a '65 grille that one of the horizontal bars is broken. It is not missing anything just both ends of break are a bit pinched. This grille is very straight (other than brake). Can this be repaired? What must be done to repair? Does anyone know place that could repair?
    Thanx, Dano

Hey Dano,

If Roger is listening, maybe he can chime in. He just had his grille professionally repaired and reanodized last year. I know he had to send one back because it had problems but I think he eventually got it "straightened out". This restoration is pretty pricey but the grille looks great!

Aluminum repair can be pretty tricky so I'm not sure if it's something a novice could do. I've heard you can get the anodized coating off with oven cleaner and then the aluminum can be buffed to a bright shine. You need to wax it several times a year to keep it that way though.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Dan Guest
    I ended up buying 2 grilles off of e-bay. The one on my car now is nice, (has one vertical broken at top) after shipping I'm into for about $90. The other had no mounting brackets on ends (only thing salvageable from my wrecked grille). I picked up second grille for $50. Of the 2, the 2nd is in better shape overall except for one broken horizontial bar. I would like to have best one repaired and refinnished (locally if possable). Thanx for the oven cleaner tip I may give that a try.

Bring one of your grills to Elliot's shop on the 28th and see if he can do anything for you.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Grille Repair

The breaks can be repaired by welding. The problem with welding aluminum is that if the grill is reanodized, the portion of the grill that is welded will not anodize properly and show as a flaw. This may not be a problem for you because the breaks may be in the painted sections of the grill and you can repaint to hide the welds. The bent portion of the grill can also be straightened by a competent shop or person with the proper skills and tools. The cost to straighten, reanodize and repaint a grill can cost upwards of $500 for quality results. This cost is still less than a NOS Grill, but either route is expensive. If the grill is otherwise acceptable to you, then you may just want to try and find some local shop(s) that can weld aluminum and straighten the damaged portion of the grill...and skip the whole reanodizing process.

Al Aiello

I confess I've been so busy elsewhere I haven't been listening much lately. But I'm catching up here.

I had my grill done by the Anobrite in South L.A., California. It was a disaster experience (came back "flattened," no brackets, and they didn't polish the top and bottom of the bars, which looked really bad. Had to send it back and "forced them" to strip, straighten and reanodize in less that 7 days due to an upcoming car show). After much ado about nothing I finally got a grill back worthy of the $550 I paid into it. It is perfect now. They can do good work and if you probably prefaced the job with "my buddy Roger from Seattle recommended you, but..." and then tell him you will not accept the same crapola I had to go through. Who knows they may get it right the first time. You can borrow my box if you need it -- as long as I can get it back.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"