Thread: Front bench retracting spring

Front bench retracting spring

Where can I get a "seat track retracting spring"?

My 1963 Falcon hardtop with bench seat has one "seat track retracting spring" on the left side. It assists pulling the seat forward after it has been pushed back.

Service manual illustration.jpg

It is different than the shorter "seat track release lever spring" that they sell at Melvin's or Mac's auto parts. See 2nd page at: http://www.melvinsclassicfordparts.c...ages_43-46.pdf The seat track retracting spring is the long spring that is not labeled.

Seat track retracting spring.jpg

When I pulled my carpet up I found an identical retracting spring attachment point on the right. That indicates to me that I should have springs on both ends of the seat. Does anyone definitively know if the bench seat is supposed to have one or two seat track retracting springs?

Springs.JPG

The spring that was in the car is the one on top. I will try to use one or the other of the two springs below that I have on hand but would like to get another correct spring if they are available.

Right attachment point.jpg
    Last edited by ew1usnr; November 10th, 2013 at 06:48 AM.

My 63 bench had two when I disassembled the interior. It also had the two mounting points on the floor for spring attachments. I won't say for sure it was all original as a lot can happen in 50 years of assorted POs (previous owners) .

Now that we are discussing it, I'm not sure I reinstalled them. Since I am the only driver and the seat is all the way back I don't think I would notice. In fact, I wish it would go back another inch or so. Maybe I put too much foam in my seat. I am a average 6 foot guy so shouldn't feel as cramped as I do.
    Last edited by Jeff W; November 10th, 2013 at 10:24 AM.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

I only have one spring on mine but that's because the other is missing as well. I spent some time once searching for a replacement but decided I probably don't need it. Like Jeff, mine's back all the way and never moves.

I think you'll probably have to search on eBay or the junk yards for a replacement. Luckily you can finish your project and install it later. You might also check McMaster Carr. They have a section of extension springs with special ends.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#extension-springs/=pbk9az

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

I have an extra pair that I got from eBay a couple years ago. I would share one each with you guys..... no charge, as I don't have bench seats anymore. I can bring one to you at the next meeting, Kenny. Don't know if I've ever seen the name of the man in Florida, but if you PM me an address, I'll send it to you.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

You're the man Gene! And the Rainier FalconForum comes through again. Ask and ye might receive.

And even though I don't ever move my seat, it's always nice to check something off the punch list!!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

RATS!!!! Here I go embarrassing myself again. I just went to dig them out, and found I only have one. Don't know what happened to the 2nd one. I don't remember giving it to anyone else. So..... I'm going to give the one I do have to Kenny and I apologize to the unnamed man in Florida!

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

No, I'd rather you ship it to Florida. I really don't ever move my seat. I can't really since it will hit my console on the hump under the dash.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

Catapault Bench Seat

Hello, Gene, Kenny, and Jeff.

Thanks to all for the quick answers. And a HUGE, thanks to Gene for the offer of the spring. But, I substituted another spring and it works so it would be easier and more useful to give that spring to Kenny.

Let me show you what I did. I took the seat out to install a new carpet. The springs under the driver were saggy and I slid cardboard under them when I had the seat out last year. The cardboard worked pretty well.

Saggy Springs.jpg

I soaked the slider tracks with spray lithium grease.

Sider track.jpg

Here is the spring attachment point. It is on the back end of the slider track and has notches to hook the spring to. There is an attachment point on both the left and right ends of the seat.

Spring attachment point.JPG

I had the one original spring and also added anther similarly-sized spring that I had in the garage. Here are my two springs attached to the floor and awaiting attachment to the seat.

Dual Springs.jpg

When I bought my car, the one spring was not attached. I found it under the seat and hooked it up and the seat slide mechanism sort of worked. Now with the two springs and the lubricated tracks, it takes noticeably more effort to push the seat back. But, when you pull the lever to move the seat forward, it really slides forward. Relative to what it was earlier, it is like being launched from the flight deck of an aircraft carrier! Wow! It is almost like I have a James Bond ejection seat.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; November 10th, 2013 at 04:07 PM.

For what it's worth, it's probably more important to have a pair of the same springs than it is to have two of the "original" springs - as long as they are the same length, offer pull through the entire range of travel, and are not too stiff as to eject you through the windshield, which would not be a good thing - even for James Bond.

Having dissimilar pulling springs "may" cause the seat track to bind once things don't slide so easy anymore. It will always be the stronger spring doing the work and the other will go along for the ride.

You can probably get by with one as long as the tracks are all clean and lubed. Especially when there is only one person on the seats.

I know for a fact I don't have any on my wagon and I use the pull myself forward motion to move it. Now that I know there are supposed to be springs, I'm gonna have to add them to mine!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"