Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Power Rack and Pinion Project

I'd be interested in the 65 front end stuff if you ever decide to get rid of it. I got 65 PS stuff from Jerry Kirby, but don't have spindles or any of the other parts that allow conversion to V-8 parts. I'm not sure what steering box is needed for this either, but I was under the impression that 65 and 62 boxes have different length steering wheel shafts -- but I don't know for sure.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    I'd be interested in the 65 front end stuff if you ever decide to get rid of it. I got 65 PS stuff from Jerry Kirby, but don't have spindles or any of the other parts that allow conversion to V-8 parts. I'm not sure what steering box is needed for this either, but I was under the impression that 65 and 62 boxes have different length steering wheel shafts -- but I don't know for sure.
    You can use your old column. The pitman arm, center link, and idler arm will bolt on. I have a pair of 65 Mustang V8 spindles if you need them. You would need to find the drums or buy an aftermarket disk kit for them. I have Granada disks and spindles now. They will stay for now but I plan on getting a Wilwood disk kit to use on some 70 Mustang spindles I already have.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

This is a future project, so I'm not in any hurry. Just collecting stuff as it comes about. I keep looking for Granada's in the Pull a Part, but it seems I'm always a day late, dollar short. Sadly, I had a set before and gave them away. Oh well...
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

The R&P kit has finally shipped a couple of days ago.
    Patrick Brown

I have a set of 63 V-8 spindles and drums still on an old clip. You can have them if you want. You can call me at 425-481-1502 Dave

The rack is here. FedEx delivered it this morning. Now the fun can begin .
    Patrick Brown

Hi there patrick.. so when does the fun begin? before the swap meet or after? I hate waiting for goodies to come ups,fedx,ect,ect.....it sounds like a great switch, the old boxes are not worth a ----. r&p is the only way to go....let me know....john h

Quote Originally Posted by falcon cobra View Post
    .. so when does the fun begin?
    I'll try to get started this week. I'll be working the swap meet on Saturday. I'll be working on it on Sunday. Visitors are welcome.
    Patrick Brown

Weren't you going to bring stuff to the swap?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    Weren't you going to bring stuff to the swap?
    Yes. I'll coordinate that with Kenny an Jeff in light of your truck issues.
    Patrick Brown

Hey patrick.. do you still get to use your granada spindles with the rrs-r&p ? the people at tci [that also make a fine r&p] say one needs late 70-73 mustang spindles...something about bumpsteer, they thought they work better than the granada's....what do you know about that?? thanks..john h

Quote Originally Posted by falcon cobra View Post
    Hey patrick.. do you still get to use your granada spindles with the rrs-r&p ? the people at tci [that also make a fine r&p] say one needs late 70-73 mustang spindles...something about bumpsteer, they thought they work better than the granada's....what do you know about that?? thanks..john h
    The Granada spindles will work as well as they do with the stock steering. There has always been a bumpsteer issue with them.

I have a set of 70-73 spindles that I plan to switch to when I upgrade to Wilwood brakes.
    Patrick Brown

Progress

I started work on the conversion. I'm working on removing the old stuff. I ran into a snag on the pitman arm. I need to rent a puller to get it off.

I disconnected the seven wires that connect the column to the under dash wire harness. That was fun hanging upside down under the dash. The steering wheel is pulled.

I'm hoping that I can remove the steering box and column from the inside. I don't think I can get it out from under the car without pulling the header. I would like to avoid that if I can.
    Patrick Brown

I got a chance to see Pat's new set-up after the swap meet. Very nice! It looks like a really well made unit and should be a clean install.

In other words...sweeeeeet!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

More Progress

The old column is out. That came out easily from inside.

The steering box is another matter. I was able to remove it but is was a bit of a chore. had to pullthe drivers header, the belly bar, and jack up the left side of the engine. In the end, I cut the steering shaft short to make it come out easier. Sometimes, after removing a lot of parts, I wonder. What is the very first part attached to a bear chassis? I don't know if it's the steering box but is close to the top of the list.

I cleaned up the frame rails and bolded the new rack in. It looks good. I had to remove the belly bar as the new rack doesn't fit with itin place - bummer. It looks like there might be an issue with oil pan clearance. This was mensioned in the instructions. I will probably add some 1/8 - 1/4" spacers to the engine mounts.
    Patrick Brown