Thread: I'm Depressed...

I'm Depressed...

The 65 Ranchero my son and I have been working got hit in a parking lot where he lives on the passenger rear quarter. The woman who hit the Ranchero has Progressive insurance and the agent told me he would get it fixed. It was a pretty bad hit. We are going to need to find another rear quarter to replace the damaged quarter. What a Happy New Year...

I just picked up a 5-speed Treimic and was getting ready to rebuild it. Looks like I will be looking for another quarter pannel instead.

Hope you all had a better New Year than we did.

jerry-
    GT-350H

That suck Jerry. Look to Autokrafters for replacement panels.

I don't know how much flexibility you have but I would get Elliot at elhot Metal Fab to to the panel replacement. He's good and won't take shortcuts.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Quote Originally Posted by pbrown View Post
    That suck Jerry. Look to Autokrafters for replacement panels.

I don't know how much flexibility you have but I would get Elliot at elhot Metal Fab to to the panel replacement. He's good and won't take shortcuts.
    Pbrown,

I live in the SF Bay Area, where is Elhot located.

I'll also check with Autokrafter for a new panel.

jerry-
    GT-350H

Sorry. Elhot is in Seattle. I always assume everyone here is local.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Sorry to hear about the damage. About 15 years ago my Convertible was hit in the door and rear quarter. The insurance company forced my to go to a certain shop the had a deal with. I don't think they had much experience working on old cars. I wasn't to too happy with the quality of work. Be sure to find a reputable shop that has at least one picture of a pre-70's car hanging in their office/waiting room.

Don't forget... wagons and Rancheros share most of the same sheetmetal. May help find metal.

Bummer deal though, but they're paying for it, right? Don't let them low-ball you. They have to get the car back to the way it was and nothing less.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Remember it is your right to have your car fixed where you want to have it fixed. Insurance companies will give you Sh*t and play hardball, but it is your right..

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan289 View Post
    Remember it is your right to have your car fixed where you want to have it fixed. Insurance companies will give you Sh*t and play hardball, but it is your right..

Nathan
    Well Guys/Gals,

I have finally worked out the details with the insurance company on the Ranchero. The only way they will pay me for the value of the car is to salvage it. This means I will have to take the pink/reg to DMV and re-register the car as a salvaged car. I can then use the $ they pay me to purchase the parts to repair the Ranchero. Now my wife is questioning me if I will have time to actually do the work with all the other projects given to me by her. We all make time to work on our rides, right? :-)

When I bought my wrecked 1966 GT-350H for $700.00 everyone thought I was nuts for wanting to spend all that time restoring it. Needless to say it's worth a bit mor than $700 now.

So, I have found a pass-rear quarter for $550 + shipping. Is that a good deal?

I was going to take the GT-350H out for a ride today, but it's raining. Dang....

Depression subsiding...
    jerry-
    GT-350H

Jerry, Be careful using a 1/4 panel from a passenger vehicle. When I was having work done on my Ranchero I was told Ranchero/Wagon was different from pass vehicles (and accepted that as true). At that time I couldn't find replacement panels for my '65 (Dearborn had carried them but had too much trouble with bad fit and dropped them), so I decided to have the work done as a repair and only had a small section replaced on each side (I was going after cancer behind each rear wheel)........ Good luck!!!

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Quote Originally Posted by SmithKid View Post
    Jerry, Be careful using a 1/4 panel from a passenger vehicle. When I was having work done on my Ranchero I was told Ranchero/Wagon was different from pass vehicles (and accepted that as true). At that time I couldn't find replacement panels for my '65 (Dearborn had carried them but had too much trouble with bad fit and dropped them), so I decided to have the work done as a repair and only had a small section replaced on each side (I was going after cancer behind each rear wheel)........ Good luck!!!
    SmithKid,

The quarter panel I've located is from a 65 Ranchero. Thanks for the info. I should be getting the $$ from the insurance company in a couple of days so I can order my parts.

jerry-
    GT-350H

"So, I have found a pass-rear quarter for $550 + shipping."

Sorry Jerry. I thought the above meant you were going to use a passenger car 1/4 panel.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Quote Originally Posted by SmithKid View Post
    "So, I have found a pass-rear quarter for $550 + shipping."

Sorry Jerry. I thought the above meant you were going to use a passenger car 1/4 panel.
    No, I'm glad you told me that there is a difference in the quarter panels. I got the $$ in the mail today so I'll be ordering the quarter panel soon.

jerry-
    GT-350H

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Alfaro View Post
    No, I'm glad you told me that there is a difference in the quarter panels. I got the $$ in the mail today so I'll be ordering the quarter panel soon.

jerry-

Another thing I found out when an insurance company deems your vehicle totaled....

Because the cost of repairs is higher than the value of the Ranchero, I now have to re-register the Ranchero. To do this it requires a DMV verification and a brake/light inspection. Once that is done DMV will issue me a new plates/pink slip with a note that the vehicle was a salvage vehicle. What a pain this has been.

jerry-
    GT-350H