Thread: My 1965 Futura 2 dr hardtop

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My 1965 Futura 2 dr hardtop

My brother Cory posted about his 1965 Sprint back in Nov 2014 and how he was successful in locating it in Reno and buying it back 15 yrs after our dad had sold the car. See this thread

Well, now it's my turn. When I was in high school I shared a 1965 Futura 2 door hardtop with the next brother in line. However, I got to drive it the most and took it to college as well.

In 1988 I got married to the love of my life (28 yrs and still going strong) but, as college students, we made the decision to sell the Falcon to a guy in my home town. The money supplied us with some furniture for our apartment.

I had always somewhat regretted selling the car (also bought my dad's 61 Starliner 10 yrs later and eventually sold it too - shouldn't have). In 2004 I saw the car for the first time in its mostly restored state at a car show back home. I couldn't believe it. A complete transformation was done. My wife even denied it was my car especially since it was two tone brown when we sold it and now it was turquoise and white. Ever since that day all I could do was think about buying my car back.

Today that dream became a reality and the Falcon is now in my dad's shed until I can get it home. This is number 2 of the 3 we had growing up that we have now bought back and have in the family.

There are a few minor things to address (and, yes, a dual bowl master cylinder will be on the list) but, for the most part, it's really complete and quite the looker. The wheels are ok but the Maverick wheels that were on it in 2004 looked better in my opinion.

The engine has been gone through and now sports a 4 barrel Edelbrock 1406 carburetor and dual exhaust that sounds incredible and makes the car so much more fun to drive.

I'll be joining the FCA and also Rainier Falcons shortly and am looking forward to the knowledge I need to learn on maintaining my falcon. I'm a kindergartner in mechanical knowledge at this point so I'll apologize now for stupid sounding posts I may have later on.

Time for some photos - I didn't do any cleanup and there was a fine layer of dust on the car from sitting under a cover for the past 3-4 yrs.

Edit - Photobucket held photos hostage. Here's some newer ones from summer of 2017

Last edited by Gitanesteel; June 27th, 2018 at 07:32 PM.
    Scott Zimmerman

'65 Falcon Futura 2 door hardtop, 289 V8

That is an amazing story. Thanks for sharing and the great pictures. Welcome to the group!

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

That is an awesome story not to mention you have a great looking Falcon.

Very cool! Wish I could have my first Falcon back...

...or maybe not. It was a cobbled together mess. But it did get me hooked on Falcons as a 17 year old.

Don't worry about your level of understanding and questions. We try our best to answer anything regardless of how it is asked - and only on one, maybe two, rare instances did our advice get misconstrued as something less than it was. Odds are clearly in your favor!

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Family Car

Quote Originally Posted by Gitanesteel View Post
    The wheels are ok but the Maverick wheels that were on it in 2004 looked better in my opinion.
    Cool! I agree with you on the wheels. It is just my opinion, but I think that plain steel wheels and hub caps look great on old cars.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

My brother and I picked up the car from our father's place this afternoon and it's finally clean and in my shop under sheets and a heavy cover. This week will be spent detailing for the Kruisin' Kittitas show this weekend.

More photos next week after the show.
    Last edited by Gitanesteel; October 1st, 2016 at 02:15 PM.
    Scott Zimmerman

After having the car for a little over 6 weeks I've had the opportunity to get a few different "photo shoots in". I need a much better camera.

Scott Zimmerman

Nice Falcon and great story....enjoy the ride and don't worry, if these guys have survived all my dumb questions...yours can't be any dumber and they will survive yours.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

The new look - original for a few shows this year - is taking shape as my winter project. I realized as I was cleaning up the tires today that I forgot to tell the shop to put the wheel weights on the back. Will have to get that corrected.

Last edited by Gitanesteel; January 7th, 2017 at 02:27 PM.
    Scott Zimmerman

Nothing wrong with "real world" wheel weights. You might just touch them up w/black paint to match.
    The car is still looking great. I especially like the pics along the river between E'burg and Cle Elum.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Good job Scott, they look great

Lovely car! Interesting story. Thanks for sharing.

Got the car out of the shop to get some photos before the first show with the wheel covers now on. Love driving it around town with the sleeper look - unfortunately, the rumble lets others know it's a little more than a straight 6
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott Zimmerman