2 66.67%
  • Matco

0 0%
  • Snapon

0 0%
  • Other

1 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm shopping for a tubing bender - which one?

I'm shopping for a tubing bender - which one?

I see that I need a new tubing bender after working on Gary's car last weekend. I'm looking at a few online. Does anyone have any thoughts on these?

Eastwood:
    http://www.eastwood.com/triple-head-...-16-3-8in.html

Matco: MST470FH
    http://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/to...&page=3&#56631

Snapon:
    http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

I used a Snap-on bender to fabricate that faulty fuel line that was on the engine. It does a really nice job of bending, but it is difficult to figure out how to place the tube in it to get the bend you want. The Eastwood and Matco benders look almost identical and look like their operation would be far more self-evident. What a deal on that Eastwood bender though!
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

I have used the Sanp-On and the Eastwood benders. The Sanp-on looks just like the one I bought from Harbor Freight. The Eastwood worked easier than the others I have used and it bends without kinking better than the others. Not sure about the Matco. It looks cool though.

I'll let you know about the Eastwood bender. I liked the looks so well I just oredered one.

I think the Matco and the Eastwood bender is actually the same tool. I'll probably order the Eastwood bender this evening.
    Patrick Brown

I have the SnapOn bender and it's just OK. I works well, but it's not possible to do 180 curves without a lot of grief. I agree with you that the Matco and Eastwood tools are probably the same tools rebranded. Go with cheaper of the same tools.

If you like the Eastwood one, let us know. Who knows, I might offer to rebend Gary's tranny coolant lines...

...OK, maybe not.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Roger,
    I'm sure you'd like to re-bend those cooling lines, but I'd seriously doubt your sanity if you offered to install them!!
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Speaking of installing transmission lines. I didn't realize what a pain that was. I had to lower the transmission to get at the forward tube location to start the tube and tighten it. At least I didn't have the drive shaft in so it wasn't a total disaster. Should get the front ends of the tubes attached to the radiator today. Funnnnn stuff.

Roger spent an hour or more fighting with just one of the fittings on the C4. He pulled it for inspection only to see that someone had jammed a NPT fitting into a flair fitting and damaged it. It took some doing but he was able to clean it up enough to get the proper fitting to start.

The project came down to this:

1. Pull engine
    2. Install engine
    3. Connect tranny lines
    Guess which step took the longest.
    Patrick Brown

What you guys didn't hear me saying (amidst the cursing) was a steady "There's no place like home. There's no place like home. There's no place like home." And yet when I opened my eyes I was still under that car! Had I not pulled that fitting to inspect it, I'd still be under that car making similar movements as this

Needless to say, by hour 10, I was beginning to loose it. And honestly, most of "it" was lost before I even started.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"