Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autolite 1100 Carburator parts

Autolite 1100 Carburator parts

Hello,

Anyone have extra metering jets/ main jets for an Autolite 1100?

I was thinking I could improve the performance of my Carb and make the engine come alive, by cleaning the Jet with a drill bit and making it bigger.

Well the engine runs rich, to the point that if I let it idle longer than 2 minutes it loads up the plugs stumbles and acts like its going to stall. I rev the engine and it clears up.

I also have to have the idle at 1000 rpms to keep the engine idling smooth. Anything lower and it seems to load up and stall.

I'm hoping its just my main jet issue.. otherwise its something else in the carb, maybe distributor.. hmm wondering if the advance is sticking.

the Jet number I'm looking for is stamped 59F anyone have one?
    If not I think I know where I can buy one.

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Nathan,

I've got quite a few 1100's I collected to try and make one good one for someone else, so may have one I can send you. Maybe you can make a list as of today of things you still need and I can finally get that care package. I've had these two lighters for you to pick from, but finally took a picture this weekend to ask you which of them you might really need.

These 1100's have a lot of funky attributes, so hopefully you get it going well. Is this one an auto or manual choke model?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Roger,

My Autolite 1100 is a manual choke model. Engine runs well, except for the idle is around 1000 rpms. I can set it at 800 rpms and it will run fine for a while, but then loads up and then dies. If I pull the plugs after it dies they're covered in soot.
    If I lean out the idle mixture it won't idle well at all.

So I'm pretty sure I goobered up the main jet when I thought I'd be sly and make it a little bit bigger.. bad mistake.

I've tried different timing, anywhere from 6* to 12* BTDC and it doesn't seem to matter much. Though the temp gauge stays a little cooler with it set around 10* over having it set at 6*.

Things I need..

Manual shift collar, again.. why are these things always trashed?
    63 grill, haven't called Steve Avery yet
    Spare tire cover
    Dash pad
    Everything in the interior. Bucket seat foam, headliner, door panels, carpet, seat covers. All of it.

Windshield washer foot pump (thinking this might be why wipers don't work.) Haven't looked into it yet.
    Heater switch that isn't broken.. the switch works, the cable is loose.
    Squires wood trim pieces. Right fender, right front passenger door upper trim piece.

Driver's front toe board and passenger side front floor pan. Why do I buy cars that need floors?

Funny how the car is a deluxe squire wagon, but it has plain dash knobs no inserts. It has plain arm rests not the ones with stainless trim.

Figured it would have all the bling and it doesn't. Just the chrome strip for the dash pad.
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan289 View Post
    Roger,

My Autolite 1100 is a manual choke model. Engine runs well, except for the idle is around 1000 rpms. I can set it at 800 rpms and it will run fine for a while, but then loads up and then dies. If I pull the plugs after it dies they're covered in soot. If I lean out the idle mixture it won't idle well at all.
    I have a couple cores of this type. Can rebuild one for you cheap if you need it.

So I'm pretty sure I goobered up the main jet when I thought I'd be sly and make it a little bit bigger.. bad mistake.
    I will look tomorrow night (gotta climb into my loft) and see what I can find. As I recall all of mine were marked as 59..

Things I need..

· Manual shift collar, again.. why are these things always trashed?
    · 63 grill, haven't called Steve Avery yet
    · Spare tire cover
    · Dash pad
    · Everything in the interior. Bucket seat foam, headliner, door panels, carpet, seat covers. All of it.
    · Windshield washer foot pump (thinking this might be why wipers don't work.) Haven't looked into it yet.
    · Heater switch that isn't broken.. the switch works, the cable is loose.
    · Squires wood trim pieces. Right fender, right front passenger door upper trim piece.
    · Driver's front toe board and passenger side front floor pan. Why do I buy cars that need floors?
    I don't have much of any of that stuff. The heater switch, I might, but those are like gold and fail far too easily. Repops are Repoopy at best. Someone needs to make a decent reproduction.

I have a couple ww-pumps, but they are very specific to years and models and even mine, which I added to the wagon years ago, doesn't connect to the wiper motor wiring. Never tried to figure it out. I do know you can unplug all that and go direct from w-switch to the wiper motor to determine if that's the issue. I assume you have electric one-speed wipers and not vacuum?

Funny how the car is a deluxe squire wagon, but it has plain dash knobs no inserts. It has plain arm rests not the ones with stainless trim. Figured it would have all the bling and it doesn't. Just the chrome strip for the dash pad.
    So I take it then your knobs don't have the chrome insert. OK. Do you still need the glove-box catches?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Roger,

Thanks for the Carb offer, Mine is pretty solid, plus its original down to the tag that's on it. The only issue it has is the nut job that rebuilt it, thinking he can make it better.

Glove box catches are a yes.
    Knobs don't have chrome inserts.. wish they did.

If you can find a jet for me thanks.. my carb shop guy's phone is always busy, not sure if he's even still in business. When I Google him the web now shows 2 different addresses with the same phone number, that I can't even get to ring.

I bought a new collar from Ecklers.. will see how that goes.. I'm still waiting for answers to other questions for other stuff I'd like to order.

I have the ww pump, thought it was missing but I was wrong.

I'll pull the heater switch out and see if I can epoxy the cable back in so it works. Maybe some fiberglass or something.
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

Nathan - I couldn't find a 59, but have a 58 which should be OK. You can try it and read the plugs. I PM'd you asking for your address.

I hope you get it running right in the end.

Working on 1100's has proven difficult and I've learned a lot about them. I spent a lot [of time and money] trying to build a good one for the Comet I sold last year - to replace a Holley 1940 it had on it when I got it. The 1940 didn't have the correct Spark Advance vacuum circuit, and I knew it, and I felt obligated to make that right. Though a few of you thought I was crazy spending so much to do so, that's just how I roll. I think I bought 9 cores in that attempt. Sadly you just don't know what sort of condition these will be in until you get it. Some you know instantly they are good for parts only. They are not cheap - even as cores!

1100's do get a bad rap, but with anything this old I've found it's one thing to dink around trying to make one work correctly when the car is yours and in your garage. You just keep at it until you're satisfied. But it's wholly another to do this when you've got a tight window of opportunity to touch it, or you're paying someone hourly to do so. Not a good deal any way you look at it. They are really very efficient carbs, when you can find a good one and can massage it into shape.

Good luck!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    They are really very efficient carbs, when you can find a good one and can massage it into shape.
    ^^^^This is the biggest challenge.

Nathan, it's been awhile since I played with an 1100, so bear with me. Why do you think enlarging the main jet is causing idle problems? The main circuit should not affect the idle circuit and the drilled out jet should only affect fuel flow once the main circuit is active. Just curious.

Separate topic - do you still want the spare side window for your wagon? All you have to do is stop by and I'll send it home with you. I don't need/want it, so if it doesn't find a new home it will eventually end up in the clear glass bin at the recycler.
    Phil

Roger,

I feel your pain. I bought 3 supposedly rebuilt 1100s for the 62 wagon years ago. Some of these rebuilds I was getting from rebuild shops were horrible. I robbed them of parts and sent them back with notes showing them how they weren't right.
    I believe I ended up finding a solid core off an econoline van.

Ive even taken running 1100s into carb rebuilders to get them back and they wont run. I've come to the conclusion that carbs are a bitch.

Problem is the Holleys aren't much better but classic in lines sells an all brand new Holley clone. The problem is it requires a distributor swap (more $) that distributor swap will be a later 5/16 oil pump drive shaft not the early 1/4. So swapping oil pumps would also be required. Have you priced I6 oil pumps?

So by the time im finished with the swap it would be over $600

If thats what I have to do I will but im not at that point yet.

Whats bugging me is yesterday it fired up, once warm ran great. Drove it around the block. Came home shut it off, took a 15 minute break came back out started it up and it wouldn't idle again. I kept it running for a while but I eventually let it die.
    pulled plugs and they looked lean. Last time it did this they were rich. So I dont get it. Something in the carb either changes or something in the ignition system changes.
    I need to put a dwell meter on it and see what I have going on.

it also sounds like I have a miss.
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

Here's an image of the idle circuit. It does use the main jet as a feed source, so the idle bleed sizing, etc., may not be matched for the jet as you have it now. How much bigger did you make it?

I did some checking last night as I was digging through all the carb parts I have (have I mentioned I have a lot of them now?) and it seems the number actually represents the size in thousands of an inch. So a 58 is .058 and 62 is .062 and so on. So a 58 can be made a 59, but a 62 can't be made a 59. And these would be reamed sizes. Using drill bits, in brass, can rip the holes way bigger than the drill size.

The 1100 also suffers from potential internal and external vacuum leaks. The power valve circuit is just under the larger vacuum plug (expanded into the hole in the top of the carb). These are almost always buggered up and so I replace them and apply a small bead of JB Weld to make them totally vacuum tight. I've also found, even at best, these valve hang up. You can't pull them out, so you can only clean them and hope for the best. I use a vacuum tester/brake bleeder and test these thoroughly now.

And yes, I went over all of this spark control stuff and what would be required to negate it (oil pump, shaft, distributor with mechanical and vacuum advance) when lamenting over the carb issues with that Comet last year. It's not easy to doing something stock anymore. That's why I, and many others, upgraded to a Weber, electronic ignition, etc. It can be done stock, but it's not as easy as it once was when everything was new.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"