Thread: Tech Day March 08, 09

Tech Day March 08, 09

Hi All,

After talking with Kenny (who lives a couple of blocks from me in Ballard) I would like to suggest March 8th as a Tech Day to install a Dual Master Cylinder in my '62 4-door. It's a pretty straight forward (as I've been told) install but one, as we all know, that's an important safety feature all our birds should have. I currently only have the new cylinder itself, however Kenny kindly said he'd come over a week or so before to give me a shopping list for lines, fittings, and such. However if you already have anything I might need I'll gladly buy them from you. I can offer pizza and beer and plan on taking many before and after pictures of the procedure to post or add to the newsletter. Please let me know if you'd like to attend this Tech Day in March. Thanks!!

Jim

I'll be there!

This is a great, inexpensive swap to upgrade the safety factor. Unless you plan on a bone stock car that looks like it did on the showroom floor and plan on trailoring it to shows...do it! Safety first!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

I am a great (perhaps the greatest) advocate for the dual master cylinder upgrade. Unfortunately it looks like I will be on kid duty that Sunday. If I only have one, we may do a 15 minute fly-by to mop your brow and see how it's going.

I can come too. Not too sure how much help I'll be tech wise but I'm good with a camera, lol. Plus it would be nice to put faces with some of the names.
    Last edited by 68FalconSC; February 22nd, 2009 at 03:05 PM. Reason: sp
    Jonathon Hass
    Stanwood, WA.
    '68 Falcon Sports Coupe

That's likely the weekend I'm inserting my new windshield, sorry to say. If anything changes, I'll see if I can make it. Be sure to post an address.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Have Tubing

I still have a virgin brake line left over from my Scarebird job. I'd gladly donate it. I'd like to come, too, but don't know yet if I can.
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

I think between me and Pat we probably have all the tools and parts we need but if you are coming and have something you think is useful, please bring it with. I even ordered a few sets of these fittings to eliminate the need for adaptors. They seemed pretty inexpensive and handy. When (or if) I ever detail my engine bay again I will put these in place.

http://www.ultrastang.com/Page.asp?PageID=4
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

I Can Come!

I can be there in the morning and into early afternoon (if it goes that long). I have another commitment later in the afternoon.
    I'll bring tools and stuff; just seems like the thing to do....
    Someone will tell me where and when?
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Tech Day March 08, 09

Hi All,

Glad to hear some of you can make it the Tech Day this Sunday (3/8). As I hate to post my address online, how about this, my house is between 77th and 80th NW (actually only one block) in Ballard on Jones Ave NW. Going West on 80th, Jones is between 23rd and 24th NW. It is a white house in the middle of the block on the East side of the street and the street level garage will be open. My cell is 206-300-6886 so feel to call if you get lost. Let's shoot for 11A, that seems like a reasonable hour to start something like this. I believe all the parts will be ready to go and as the car isn't used everyday, if we get stuck I can finish the following weekend.

It will be fun to meet you all (again) and look forward to feeling safer in my bird.

See you Sunday!

Jim

Jim is now an official member of the "Dual Master Cylinder Club"! Went off without a hitch. Well, I did flare one end of the brake line with the fitting on backwards but I've flared a few in the past and realized I didn't have a fitting on at all.

The rear, driver's side wheel cylinder wouldn't bleed. I even took the valve entirely off and no go. The tip of the valve was rusty so I'm pretty sure it's time for new wheel cylinders. Jim plans on having a brake shop go over everything soon so we didn't tear into it.

Thanks to Pat for loaning us the flare tool and tube bender and helping us get started.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

Thanks all for helping me, first for helping me understand the importance of such an upgrade, and second, for adding your expertise in making it happen. A big shout out to Kenny for not only doing the lion's share but also teaching me all the small maintenace stuff I need to know as I seek to keep my bird on the road for another 40 years. Thanks again!!!