Thread: Engine Angle

Engine Angle

Hope I am not driving everyone nuts with these questions but here's another. I removed a 302 from my 64 and installed a Heidts independent suspension system which utilizes a crossmember. The problem is I didn't take notice to the angle that the engine sits in relation to the frame. The carb on my new engine sits at a 4 degree angle in relation to the block so can I assume the angle of the engine should be at 4 degrees to provide a level carb in the car? Would someone like to take a shot at this or look at your V-8 and see what you can tell? Is it that important? Thanks and have a fantastic day. Larry

Although the carb angle is important, what is most important is the angle of the engine in relationship to the rear end. A typical classic Ford has an angle of 3 degrees tilt down to the rear. Your rear end will tilt up 3 degrees.

Race cars that run leaf springs will often have the engine tilted down 1-2 degrees more to compensate for the rear end axle wrap under heavy acceleration.

You can get a magnetic angle finder from Summit Racing. Install the engine at 3-4 degrees and as far to the rear as you can get it. You can then shim the rear end to match.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Engine Angle

Thanks very much Pat. So if I am understanding this correctly the engine, transmission and rear end all have to be at the same angle and line up? Larry

Quote Originally Posted by BlackFalcon View Post
    Thanks very much Pat. So if I am understanding this correctly the engine, transmission and rear end all have to be at the same angle and line up? Larry
    They don't need to line up. They just need to be at the same angle. Imagine a line through the engine/tranny and the one through the rear end. These lines should be parallel.
    Patrick Brown

Angle

Hate to say it but now I am confused. The engine and transmission will be pointing down at the aft end 3 degrees. The rear end will be pointing up 3 degrees?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackFalcon View Post
    Hate to say it but now I am confused. The engine and transmission will be pointing down at the aft end 3 degrees. The rear end will be pointing up 3 degrees?
    That is correct. I put this diagram together to give you an idea of what it will look like.

You need to keep the two angles set so that the angles run parallel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Patrick Brown