Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding seatbelts

Adding seatbelts

I am going to add 3 point belts (retractable) to the front seats, and wondered if anybody here has ever done that. If so, do you have some pictures and/or advice for me before I have at it? This is for my 1960 comet, but I figured that a Falcon would be comparable. Thanks.
    1960 Comet
    1967 Cougar XR7
    www.lattemom.typepad.com/cougar

I haven't done it but did bookmark this page from Julianos and one on a Mustang installation:

http://www.julianos.com/how2.html
    http://www.customaccessoriesmfg.com/mustang.htm

The toughest part would be to add enough metal in the pillar to give it the strength to hold up in a crash. It would probably involve welding which might do damage to the exterior paint.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

I too am going to add three point (3-point) belts to my wagon, Front and back. The links Kenny listed have some great instructions with real retrofit pictures, but they don't have the vintage look I would like to keep with the Falcon. I found three sites that carry the silver-lift type buckles that are close to a stock look:

http://www.ssnake-oyl.com/

and

http://www.gotbelts.com/rechlilelaps.html

and

http://www.retrobeltusa.com/

The second site (gotbelts) have quite a selection of colors. I can't imagine canary yellow or lime green belts looking good in any car... but if we all had the same taste it car shows would be pretty boring. I most likely will be getting black or dark gray.

I'll post in a few weeks after I make up my mind and get some pictures of the install process.

They are all about $70 for one persons worth of safety.

If anyone has installed three point belts in a falcon or comet, your comments and or measurements would be appreciated.

I think anyone hauling kids around in these classics should consider this upgrade.

I need to do this too. When did you get a wagon, Jeff? Details, please - I've been away too long!
    Thor Johnson
    www.flickr.com/photos/sedanman
    Low & Slow '64 2dr Sedan
    Stock(for now)200 I-6, Lokar shifted C-4, Wedge kit,V-8 coils, dropped granada spindles/discs,GT leaves,3.0 8 inch

I finally found (only a two year search) a decent 1963 2-door wagon. It is being trucked up from Sacramento this this next week. I'll post pictures when it arrives. If all goes as planned, I may have it in time for the Club meeting this Wednesday at Burgermaster. It's a bit more "custom" that I was looking for but the body is so nice I couldn't turn away.

The original owner died in 2004 and his widow sold it to his friend who had the body redone then put it up for sale.

Jeff,

Does it look like it'll be there tomorrow -- or are you gonna keep it secret and surprise us?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"