Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Air Conditioning a Reality or Am I Dreaming

karenna Guest

Is Air Conditioning a Reality or Am I Dreaming

Hi, I bought a 1961 Falcon and joined this club yesterday, and I would like to know if it's possible to install air conditioning in a '61 Falcon without destroying it, or without it losing too much of it's original look.

Welcome Kareena,

There's always someone selling an old AC unit for Ford cars -- if going "period correct" is what you're after. They seem to come mostly out of Mustangs these days. Check out Craigslist or eBay.

Keep in mind that these early AC units were designed to use R-12 refrigerant, which is VERY expensive and hard to find... not to mention having been replaced with R-134, which is far more Earth friendly. So if you can find a complete AC unit, it'll cost a lot to install and charge up. There are those who claim you can convert these older units to run on R-134, but I've not talked to one person who has been happy with this conversion.

There are a couple of companies who sell new AC units for classic cars. Vintage Air is probably the most popular. Just Google "classic car air conditioning" and you'll find a few links to help you decide whether it is worth it to do.

Hope this helps!

Oh, and by the way, if you look under the dash on the right side, you'll see a little handle that will open a door. This little door on a Falcon is the freash air on the passenger side... in case you hadn't seen it yet.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; June 29th, 2008 at 09:51 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

there's an air vent on the left side too..

the next quetion is is the 170 or 144 cubic inch engine powerful enough to handle an ac unit?

Nathan

Oh sure... as long as you turn it off when you go up hills, pass someone, or just drive it on a flat road. You can turn it on going downhill though.

That left side vent had a regular handle on it, so I figured she'd have seen that one.

That door though.... saved my behind once when I was younger and a lot more stupider than I is today. It was what I had stashed behind it... which I will leave to your imagination.

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Classic Auto Air is now re-manufacturing Ford style under dash AC units. They look just like the older Mustang stuff but use modern refrigerant. They also have bracket kits for the 144/170/200 for Sanden compressors. Give them a call.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    That door though.... saved my behind once when I was younger and a lot more stupider than I is today. It was what I had stashed behind it... which I will leave to your imagination.

A pint of Mad Dog 20/20 "Wild Berry"???

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

My 61 has a door on the drivers side just like the door on the pass side..

Though your knob that is mark with an A is much easier to open when driving..

I'll stick to my 250 a/c 2 windows down 50 mph, because the car wont go much faster than that..

Nathan

Kenny... It was in the "ounces", but not fluid ounces
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"