Thread: Starter Solenoid Question

Starter Solenoid Question

Well...the good news is the falcon made it from New York in good shape....was kind of concerned with the convertible top etc...had visions of it coming loose and blowing away....anyway...that is the good news. Unfortunately it appears the starter solenoid went bad....and the battery is dead. When put on a jumper the solenoid will just "click"....if that is the only problem no big deal....but my question...
    Could a problem with the solenoid also drain the battery? Who knows...they could have left something on that drained it or...perhaps there is some sort of electrical problem that drained it...if so...yeeck!
    I'm hoping that it is a bad solenoid....it was driven shortly before the seller put it on the truck....and has pretty much been on the truck since...but when they went to off load it was dead....

Any thoughts...?
    thanks
    Hal

If it's clicking, I would look at the starter. Give the starter motor it a good hit with a hammer (not on the tin, but the heavy cast portion. You can usually get a couple of extra starts out of it after a hit.

I wouldn't get to discouraged yet, if there is a drain, it is simple to find.

Jeff....so you think it might be more of a starter issue rather than the solenoid?......It does have a slight "click" when trying to start so I guess that could mean that it is working but the starter is toast....dang it.
    Tough thing it is still at the terminal where the delivery company dropped it off....so the solenoid would be an easy fix but trying to do the starter on the ground there could be a pain....but will have to do whatever to get it home....

Hal

Can you jump start the car from another? If so, it's not the solenoid or the starter. Start by getting a good charge on the battery. A Battery Tender is a good investment for cars that don't get driven every day.

http://batterytender.com/product_inf...7c6f0d943e4c34

It's probably just a drained battery. You could go through and clean all the electrical contacts at the battery, starter, solenoid, and engine ground.

Start with the basics and go from there. Don't just start buying random parts until you do more diagnostics.
    Last edited by pbrown; July 26th, 2009 at 04:59 PM.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Pat's right, jump it first. I thought you had tried to jump it with another car and only heard the clicking. I must have mis-understood the original post.

The battery was pretty much dead I guess when they unloaded it. While I was there they had one of these portable things that you hook up to the battery to jump start it...a friend of mine said some of these portable units do not have enough power to do the trick....I'm beginning to suspect that it was/is just a dead battery and the jumper did not have enough power....of course if that is the case then I might have a different problem....like why did the battery go dead?....I guess first things first. I'm checking into having it hauled up here so I can take it a step at a time...but being somewhat less than mechanical need all the advice I can get.
    The car is very nice and has been part of a collection....not driven a lot at all so...would like to take some very short trips to get my confidence up on it.

Hal

Sounds like a low battery issue but if you do end up getting a starter, get the best possible with a lifetime warranty. I tried to save a few bucks on my first two starters and they didn't last long. This last one cost more but is still going strong and if it poops...warranty.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Hooked up the falcon to my truck...let it run for awhile and gave it a try...just a "click". Had a fellow tell me to turn on the lights and try and start....if the lights dim quite a bit then the solenoid is working....but if they don't dim...it is not working....
    Best I can tell the lights did not dim at all when I tried to start...

I have my battery tender on it for a slow charge....although the battery now seems to have some juice...the yard folks said they were going to put a charger on it this morning and they might have....

So....does it now seem more like a solenoid? That is cheap and easy so I hope that is it.
    Hal

Take a jumper cable and connect it directly to the starter's large terminal. Now take the other end and touch it to the positive on the battery. Be sure the car is in drive or neutral. Did the starter turn the engine? If it did, change the solenoid. If not, check the battery, starter, or ground.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Well....it was the starter....I replaced the solenoid first and no luck. Tapped on the started as suggested earlier and it would turn over and start.....Once the starter was in good to go but....even though the was rebuilt by the previous owner the car will sputter upon acceleration. I will repace the inline fuel filter he added just in case it is plugged up and add fresh fuel but....overall this is getting frustrating...but it will get all done and on the road...hopefully before "convertible" weather is over...

thanks

Well Hal, welcome to the world of sight unseen car buying. Good thing is that unless it is chocked full of rust you were not told about, the mechanicals on a Falcon are pretty basic. Take a deep breath and enjoy the experience of getting acquainted with 44 years of the cars history.

As for the issue you had with the starter, that would likely not have caused the battery to drain, if it was actually drained. If it was drained (it's not clear whether it was only the starter all along), then pull the negative terminal off the battery and hook up a test light in series between the terminal and the battery post. If it glows at all (key off), then there is somethig drawing juice. Finding the short causing it is a different story, one we'll hold off telling until you get that test done.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"