Thread: Simpler Times

Simpler Times

I sometimes take for granted how easy the Falcon is to work on. My daily driver is a '96 Ford Aerostar. My alternator went out today and I referenced my Chilton manual for removal. Can you believe step #2 instructs me remove the front right wheel! I don't think this will be a 30 minute project.

I long for the good old days.

I have vowed to never change the plugs again on our `96 Ranger. 4-cylinder with eight plugs and I had to use every ratchet extension, swivel socket I had and even a magnet! It probably took me a couple of hours.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Dan Guest

Smile I Feel your pain

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    I sometimes take for granted how easy the Falcon is to work on. My daily driver is a '96 Ford Aerostar. My alternator went out today and I referenced my Chilton manual for removal. Can you believe step #2 instructs me remove the front right wheel! I don't think this will be a 30 minute project.

My 40/mpg Honda is down and I've been driven the Falcon (not happy 'bout that). But at least I can work on my Falcon and is usually cheap fix(compared to todays prices) and everything is right there in plain sight and easly accessable. Thats why I love the old cars . Well that and a few other reasons---They acttuallly had some stying then. Today most look like gumdrops.

DAN

Dan Guest

spark plugs

Quote Originally Posted by redfalken View Post
    I have vowed to never change the plugs again on our `96 Ranger. 4-cylinder with eight plugs and I had to use every ratchet extension, swivel socket I had and even a magnet! It probably took me a couple of hours.
    My SHO Taurus was like that, I could not get last 3 plugs. However, as hard as that was just try changeing plugs on a v-12 Jaguar. You have to get really deep into it(removeale of many major compopnents). What should only take a little time turns into whole day feasco!
    I LOVE MY OLD CARS!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post

I agree... I have a 93 Aerostar and though I don't know why they'd want you to remove the front wheel, I know I had to do that to get to the spark plugs on the rear half on both sides. Pretty direct access then, though. Cars these days are put together from the inside out it seems. On two cars that I've needed to change a heater core on (a Sable and a Ranger) you had to remove the entire steering column and dash to get to it. No wonder they wanted $800+ just for labor on these things!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"