Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 302 for Smithkid

I think I remember that the guy that took them out (me) has a real poor rememberer. Maybe I'm in trouble.

I think I may look into that 1 wire alternator deal. Mines really scuzzy.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

In the red circle is the "wire" (hollow) that goes to the squirter.

I'm pretty well ready to commence the cleaning process now. Maybe tomorrow. Today's my daughter's 21st B'day.
    Last edited by SmithKid; October 25th, 2011 at 02:24 PM.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

But you just took them out today Gene. You've forgotten where they go - already?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Quote Originally Posted by SmithKid View Post
    In the red circle is the "wire" (hollow) that goes to the squirter.
    Oh... one of them there "hose" wires.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

You got it. That's the one I'm pretty sure I can figure where it goes.
    Last edited by SmithKid; October 25th, 2011 at 02:29 PM.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Good weather today. Rolled the Ranchero outside and did a little pre-cleaning in the engine compartment. Pressure washed, and then used Easy-Off over cleaner to remove most grease, then pressure washed again. Don't know if I'd use Easy-Off again as it removed 3/4 of the black paint and left the fender wells splotchy. I'm probably going to have to remove the rest of it to get a smooth base to re-paint. Oh well, I did get some fairly good training in another Ranchero under the hood as I mentioned before.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

I may have to use some of my elbow grease in there. Looks pretty clean though. Will cruise by and check it out.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Just make sure to use the "good" elbow.. Looking good Gene.
    Did all the parts make it over???

Yes, the parts all made it in fine shape. May change the color. Weird thing though; the crank pulley doesn't seem to fit the harmonic balancer, (about .020") too large where it drops into the center for alignment. May have to do some minor mod to it. Not sure yet. PM me where you would like some paperwork sent to, please. I forgot to get address from packaging.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Not too much happened this week(end). Did sell the old engine (it went to Canada to end up in a '66 Mustang). Spent a bit of time in the engine compartment cleaning and prepping for paint (RSN). Took my (replacement) steering column to Redhead Steering today. Gotta get the old one out soon as Readhead says they have a 24hr turn-around.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Hey gene how is the steering box coming? I got mine out without a lot of trouble, the manifold is off and only had to unhook the brake line, piece of cake, how much did they charge for the rebuild at red head?..jh

Mine was easy to take out with no engine in the bay. I wanted it out to allow easier D & C in perep for painting, which is now mostly complete. Just have to paint some small parts that were removed for same reason, then do a bit of wire harness re-wrapping. Then i'll be ready to drop the new engine in as soon as my latest shipment of parts arrives. The reuild at Readhead cost a bit under $300 (hope it's worth it). I didn't know the condition of the replacement box, so felt it needed to be done.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Kinda feel like I should have named this thread "little at a time" as I seem to be able to go slow and Guy doesn't. However, I ave gotten some more painting done, the rebuilt PS steering box mounted, and the old linkage most ly out of the way. Why oh why did I waste the warm days of summer/fall? It's cold out there!

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Wasting time?

Since when is fishing wasting time? Would you rather be fishing in the cold? It's easier to warm a garage than it is a lake.

You're doing a fine job over there - and still finding time to come help me too! On the 11th, we will crank up heat on this and get 'er dun.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"