Thread: Are people stupid or what?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Are people stupid or what?

Yesterday, (Friday) Carol and I were on our way home on 132nd street towards Mill Creek. There was a 56 Yellow Chevy Pickup in the center turn lane not running. Stopped to see if we could help. He was out of gas, so drove him to AM-PM, bought a gas can and gas. Got back to the truck and he was putting gas in.
    What absolutely drove me crazy were the drivers going past. He was on the side, pouring in gas. Cars were going by at 45-50 within a foot of the guy. Even when there was room for them to go further away, they stayed way to close to him.
    I yelled at him to watch out as a woman in a SUV came within a foot of him with her mirror.
    Carol and I were amazed he wasn't hit, but what really bugs me, is why didn't these idiots at least slow down and/or move over. What is wrong out there? Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Oblivious

Quote Originally Posted by BadBird View Post
    Why didn't these idiots at least slow down and/or move over. What is wrong out there? Larry
    Hello, Larry.

My theory is that new cars ... (being so quiet and smooth, the six-speaker sound systems are so nice, the air conditioners, along with power steering, power anti-lock disc brakes with traction control, etc. etc.) ... isolate drivers from everything to such an extent that they are detached from what they are actually doing.

The close their windows, flip on all the accessories, zone out, and essentially drive on brain dead auto-pilot.

I think that it will be a good thing when self-driving cars become available, because most people (especially young drivers with new cars) do not understand what they are doing.

google-self-driving-car-wireless-charging.jpg
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Would have scared me to death. I was on the freeway the other day here in E. WA with a trucker standing on the fog line and I was in the lane next to him. I wanted to move over but the idiot right next to me wouldn't slow down or speed up so I could. I was not comfortable being that close to a pedestrian.

Kind of a luxury now to live in the country.
    Scott Zimmerman

'65 Falcon Futura 2 door hardtop, 289 V8

Out here where I live, my property had a busy road down one side of it. I maintain my property which has me doing the mowing and weed wakking along side this road.
    I have literally been hit three times by passing cars. Once knocked me to the ground and I though for sure had broke my shoulder. The other two times were mirror slaps. All three times the drivers did not stop to see what happened.
    I've recently wrote a letter to my county and told them I would no longer be taking care of the road area on my property due to these reasons.
    People get in their capsules and just don't care anymore, I think everyone should drive old cars. At least you have to pay attention.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

A lawyer for the car industry said he "was scared of self driving cars... but absolutely TERRIFIED of people driving cars".

I am ready.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Stupid or what?

Oblivious more likely. Distractions, phones, GPS's, all may play a role in this, but I see people just being too comfortable and blind to their surroundings. I wonder anymore what kind of schooling these drivers received in school - if they even did.

When I was coming back from the Tri-Cities in the near white-out over New Years, you saw all these people plowing past you at double the safe speed. You read about and see the multi-car pile-up on the snowy roads and you know, for a fact, everyone was one car length away from each other doing twice as fast as they should have been going for the conditions.

Then you got the others...

Just Saturday morning I was coming back from the recycling place out near Boeing (Payne Field) and due to so much traffic on this road they have "high occupancy lanes" in effect certain times of the day. Not on Saturday mornings though - so you can be in both lanes. I was in the regular lane approaching the intersection of HW99, light is green for these lanes, left-turn lane has a red. On my right, in the HO lane, a Honda Odyssey comes up fast and passes me by on my right about 50 feet from the intersection, signals left and moves in front of me.

And stops at the green light.

Not expecting this at all I have to nearly slam the brakes to avoid plowing into her. Of course I give her a good long honk because the light is still green. "Go!," I yell a her. Nothing. She sits there. I'm too close to go around without backing up some (tough there is no other cars in our lanes), but before I could go into reverse and get around her the yellow and red light comes. Now she's sitting there with her left turn signal still on and now I'm thinking maybe she really needed to turn left onto HW99 and just acted too late. Fine, but thank you very much for making that decision in front of me.

This is a long light-cycle and I wait, and wait, and finally left turn goes green and as the last car goes left; she doesn't go. So much for my thinking. Our light finally changes and she's off to the races running the 1/4 mile. I guess she didn't like the glaring stare I gave her those so-many minutes she took away from me.

Last edited by Luva65wagon; January 9th, 2017 at 10:34 AM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"