Thread: Alternator Wiring

Alternator Wiring

I again have a problem with wiring. When I removed my old wiring harness 2 1/2 years ago I identified three wires going to the alternator. The wires are labeled 1. STA 2. FLO and 3. BAT. Now my new E-Z harness has two wires. They are labeled ALT POWER and ALT EXCITER. I am really confused. I've never heard of the exciter. Any ideas or tips? Thanks

I stole this from a Mustang Forum... (link at the bottom) - It's worth going to the link and seeing the whole conversation - They also mention a resistor as a fail safe in the alt bulb burns out...

"The exciter wire tells the alternator that the ignition is on and is the "turn-on" lead for the alternator. Power comes to that terminal from the battery, through the ignition switch. Once the alt starts charging, current reverses.

So, until the alt starts charging, battery voltage illuminates the bulb because there is no juice coming from the alternator. Once it starts charging, it generates an opposing voltage so that the net voltage across the light is very low (too low to illuminate it). The bulb is getting pushed about the same amount from both sides for a net near zero."

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mo...onversion.html

Im not sure how to help you with the three wire connections - are you sure your current alt has an internal regulator? Maybe you still need to use your old external regulator and pigtail harness then connect the new EZ to that somehow?

Digging in to this more - it really sounds like you need to add the external regulator and the regulator harness. Here is a diagram I found.

I would use the left half from the Ford Diagram hat shows the three wire alt - then the right half from the Color diagram that shows the panel side of your excite wire.

Does this look like what you are up against?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jeff W; May 20th, 2010 at 10:29 PM.

Alternator Wiring

Jeff, I really appreciate the help. That is the only thing that looks like it will work. I guess I have to get a regulator and hook it in line also. Thanks again very much. Larry