Thread: 1962 Ranchero, Portland Oregon.

The_DropOut Guest

1962 Ranchero, Portland Oregon.

Hi Falcon Fans. I got a 1962 Ranchero about 1 month ago and cant wait to get it on the road. I'm located in Portland Oregon

Currently it is lowered 2 inches, straight as an arrow, flat black paint and a handfull of issues. I'd like to do suttle mod to this Ranchero. I like it lowered, but the paint must go. I envision a suttle kustom.

Anyway, it has the 144 ThriftSix and it runs good. A 3 speed manual trans and just about everything is stock and in good shape. I plan on running the 144 untill it gives me some major issues, then I might consider putting a 200 w/ c4 or c5 auto at that time.

My issues all reside in the floor boards. This car sat for a long time and soaked up every drop. The floorboards are as shot as can be. I've had to cut away every piece of sheet metal from the floor. The sub frames and rocker pannels are in super shape!!

I'm missing my E-Brake mechanics but short of that I've got a roller that will be on the road by mid summer {Not counting paint, that might have to wait}

I hope you folks will provide me with loads of experienced info and quailty advice. I hope to hook up with you from time to time. I hope to see you on the road.

rog.

Rod,

Sounds like a fun project.. I have a custom ranchero myself. also 62. Still waiting for paint also.

Floor boards can be found through a couple of vendors.
    Try Macs auto parts.. or there is Falconparts.com and Dearborn classics which is located in Oregon.

The I-6 will give you worry free trouble.. I've only had carb problems with both of mine.

Nathan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Rog,

Welcome! Sounds like a cool project. If floorboards are the worst of it then that's not too bad. I didn't have any welding experience and mine came out pretty well. Plus, as long as it's sturdy it's all under the carpet.

Hope you can get it together for some shows soon. The Falcon Pacific Regionals will be in Salem on August 16 this year. That's a pretty short drive for you. Hope you can make it!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

The_DropOut Guest
    I'll try to make it. I have some images of the floor boards that I will post some time soon. Currently I have no sheet metal stretching from the toe pan on the fire wall, back to the shock mounts at the back and spanning from one rocker to the other. I stand on the floor when I'm inside it. hahaha . I have made a few improovements on the subframe by welding up some joints, tieing the front subframe in with the back and bridging the front sub frame to the rocker pannels. Its nice.

I will now just bend some sheet metal and recreate my floor boards and then I'll be in business.

You know, while looking up a front brake cables I see: 60/61 [before 5-1-61] but I dont see any option for after 5-1-61, then the books skip to 63. Its wierd. But either the catalogs and online stores are incomplete or I'm reading them wrong. Cause most of the things I want I dont see available.

Quote Originally Posted by The_DropOut View Post
    You know, while looking up a front brake cables I see: 60/61 [before 5-1-61] but I dont see any option for after 5-1-61, then the books skip to 63. Its wierd. But either the catalogs and online stores are incomplete or I'm reading them wrong. Cause most of the things I want I dont see available.
    Maybe I misunderstand but what do you mean by front brake cables? The only cables I'm aware of are to the rear brakes for parking/emergency.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

I had a hard time finding the front e-brake cable for my convertible. I called Kanter Auto Parts and they had one in stock. This was years ago but I see they are still around.

http://www.kanter.com/

I'm assuming you mean the front half of the rear e-brake set-up. The guy from the handle/lever to the balancer where it splits to the rear hubs.

The_DropOut Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by redfalken View Post
    Maybe I misunderstand but what do you mean by front brake cables? The only cables I'm aware of are to the rear brakes for parking/emergency.
    Yeah that spun me for a loop too. Front Brake Cable is refearing to the front cable portion of the parking brake assymbly. The single front brake cable is between the parking prake handel/mech. and the arm connected to the two rear cables. It slips from the interior handel, down through the fire wall, then through a spot in the sub frame and exits under the floor board under the middle of the seat, basicly.

At first I saw Front Brake Cable and thought, what the hell, this isn't some mechanical brake system like on an old Model T. So now you know.

Makes sense now! I've never had to buy one but maybe they just started making them and the books you're looking through are older. Here's a description from www.falconparts.com that looks like it's for all 62s.

1962-1965 FORD FALCON FRONT BRAKE CABLE - ALL EXCEPT CONVERTIBLE
    Category: FORD FALCON BRAKE PARTS
    Product ID: C3DZ-2853-B
    Description: The 1962 - 1965 Ford Falcons are equipped with 2 brake cable assemblies. This front brake cable assembly attaches to the hand operated pull lever and extends to a bracket on the rear of the transmission mount. This front brake cable assembly will fit all of the the 1962- 1965 Ford Falcons except Convertibles.
    Price: $39.95

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

The_DropOut Guest
    Hey, my e-brake cable assembly was missing from my car and the end that would normally be connected to the assembly looks like Boss Hoggs Cigar after it exploded. So I have no choice but get a new cable.

I shopped arround and then discovered by a fellow member that Dearborn Classics is local, Bend Oregon. So I looked over their catalog and found the cable. Brand new for $36.95. Thats sweet and It fits like 60-63 or something like that.

Also, I've put in a new post looking for a parking brake assembly. If you know someone who has one let me know and I'll PM them.

Thanks.

The_DropOut Guest
    By the way RedFalken, Nice Falcon and great website. I like your ideas of hidding relays inside voltage regulator cases and moving the console. Good ideas.

Cheers.

Welcome from the North 49th

got any pics of the beast yet?
    sounds like a great project
    "Never under any circumstances, take a laxative and a sleeping pill at the same time !!"