Page 17 of 43 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Saving Granddad's Falcon

Roger...thanks for the offer on the cigar lighter- I think I'll hold out and put a NOS one on my Xmas list. I can just use my old one until then.

Meanwhile....I took Kenny's advice (from his instructional thread) on the heater "pipe"...I had powder coated the top piece already (from the old one that was completely disintegrated). Now I have a really, really nice heater pipe! It fits the heater perfectly too. Somehow I even managed to get the seam pretty darn straight. Thanks Kenny!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

No worries Don. As an FYI I picked up 4 "brand new" lighter elements at an estate sale yesterday. Generic models you can screw your new knob onto. Don't have the chrome ring, but I never knew those existed until you posted the eBay link. If yours is non-functional, one of these will at least function - and you can have one of them... for free! Yes, you read that correctly. Free.

Also, that fresh-air duct part is a thing of beauty. Kenny has a tutorial for that?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Fa...fa...fa...free?
    I'll take one! That one might even go into the housing I have now. Not worried about the chrome part...that's a future detail. Thanks Roger!
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Kenny does have a nice tutorial... http://www.redfalken.com/pages/heatercollar.html

I also worked on the instrument panel and related wire harness last weekend.

Fuses...mostly oversize! I'm talking 30A instead of 15A. Got most of those taken care of.

I don't know how many of you saw the old picture...but this instrument panel looked REALLY dull. After I dug in:

All new light bulbs. They were sort of welded in place they were there so long.

Only one light had the original cardboard around it...and it was so brittle it was almost dusty. The other three were missing so I made four new ones using black poster board and Kapton tape to line the inside (which can handle super high heat.)

I also painted the sun faded gage needles with fluorescent paint.

I used the McGuiars plastic polish Roger recommended on the plastic lens and it cleaned up really nice.

I used 0000 steel wool on the outside metal bezel which had some kind of film over the entire thing along with a lot of overspray and it turned out beautiful. It looks like this is made of the same anodized aluminum that the grill and headlight bezels are made of. I think the whole thing turned out pretty darn nice.

One question: See the attached pics, behind what I would call the LEFT turn light indicator I shined a flashlight and it has a RED lens. The right one has a GREEN lens. Before disassembly I did find that the car has both right and left turn signals that work. But I had this pedometer rebuilt. (and now yesterday I saw a NOW one for less than what I paid to rebuild...) Anyway... Back in 61 was the left indicator light supposed to be red and the right green? I kind of remember my Dad mentioning this, but I'm not sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Left/Right turn signal - one bulb or two?

Don,

This thread pretty much explains this issue and what I did:

http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums...&postcount=286

You may have already had the wiring change, but what did he do with the high beam? Turns out when I did this for Steve's SD I didn't factor in the needle swing when I added a middle red high beam indicator and it would hit at about 42 MPH and stop when it hit the tube. He had the chrome on the lens style dash as seen here:

http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums...&postcount=443

Anyway, I have in my pile somewhere more green cel if you want to have green and green.

Also can you PM me your mailing address? I'll mail you over the lighter element. By the way, these are real Casco elements, just like was used in back then in these cars.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

High beam indicator! Duh.
    That's pretty funny but pretty cool. I so expected that it was the left indicator that I completely missed the text on the diagrams that said "high beam indicator." Now this is sort of an indicator of an economy car isn't it. I love it just like it is.
    That is a sweet mod though Roger. I can see why it would start to annoy you eventually....so who knows I might change my mind!
    If I did that one now, someone might think I actually know what I'm doing. (What are the odds....)
    Last edited by dhbfaster; November 10th, 2015 at 08:15 AM.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Well Don, we wouldn't want to have people start thinking something like that. You might have to start working on everyone else's Falcon too!

Not that you are not proving to be quite gifted!

I have the same signal function on my '65 wagon, but as I mentioned in one of those two threads; it's hard to do this mod when the dash actually calls out 'High Beam' and 'Turn Signal' on the dash face. The pres-64 dash's didn't call them out - with the exception of the Comet dash - and so these were a no-brainer. Anyway, have not done it on my wagon, though I want to. Drives me crazy this design!

Also 'PING' on the PM with address again. Your phone number too would be nice to have. Can then put it in my phone like I should have a couple weeks ago. Might save Gene and I an hour of searching (again) sometime in the future.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Ok, a couple of "what's the deal with this" questions:

First the standard radio speaker that goes into the dash. I plan to keep my original AM and send it to a place to refurbish it (possibly with a hidden iPod port..). I love those old push buttons. Meanwhile, while I'm at it I might as well replace the speaker and get that on my xmas list because I have enough socks. The old one is really brittle. So where do I find a replacement?

At falconparts.com:http://www.falconparts.com/ford-falc...ERS-21p979.htm
    It says it won't work with the stock radio due to the "impedance mismatch."

wiki:"Acoustic impedance, a constant related to the propagation of sound waves in an acoustic medium." Hmm.....

Well, I don't need a $45 speaker for this application anyway....but where to find one that will fit.

At Macs: http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_fa...-falcon-1.html
    Looks like the same speaker to me (based on the picture)...except it will "drop right in" but what about the impedance mismatch? it says it will work with "our radios." I guess that means not the falcon radio.

AT Classic auto parts: https://www.classicautopartsonlineca...kCode=con11flx The only original speaker for the front it says is for 67-70 falcons. ($25) Seems to look correct, but apparently not.

Melvins...nothing. eBay...seems like something has to be there but I don't see it.

Does anyone know where to find an original style speaker that will have impedance to match close enough my original AM radio?
    I also emailed Crutchfield to see what they say. (Their website said "your car has not been researched.")

Also, the wire harness connectors that are the male female bullet type. It turns out the blue 14-16 gage bullet type connectors you buy at AutoZone etc., are too small for the black female types under my dash (don't say it.....) Anyone know where to find the bigger classic bullet connectors? I only need a few actually, but I don't want to replace both ends with the blue ones if I don't have to.

Last edited by dhbfaster; November 12th, 2015 at 09:34 PM.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Radio Speaker

Hello, Don.

Look at: https://www.classicautopartsonlineca...ode=con&from=2

They have a 5" x 7" OEM speaker for $24.95. I ordered one and it fit perfectly and works great with my vacuum tube 1962 AM radio. The price is still the same as when I ordered mine in 2012. I bought a two-prong connector at O'Reilly auto parts.

See:
    OEM # SKU # Description Unit Qty Price
    C0AZ-18808-5X P18-28930-075 REPLACEMENT RADIO SPEAKER EACH 1 $24.95
    B5A-18912-A P18-29065 ANTENNA LEAD GROMMET EACH 1 $3.95

Attached is a picture of the speaker that was in the car when I bought it.

Old speaker.jpg

The original paper had crumbled and a clever person had mounted another smaller speaker in the frame of the old one. But the paper in the smaller speaker had disintegrated also and all that was left was the center of the cone. It was amazing, but the speaker still worked. It was high-pitch and tinny and not very loud, but it still worked.

Notes:
    1. Chuck Berry sounds best when played through a single dash-mounted speaker.
    Carol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYYr4-Red-U

2. Your little Falcon is one of the coolest cars on the planet.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; November 13th, 2015 at 03:25 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Don. I may have one. I pulled one out of my 66 pickup that is stock Ford and it looks really nice. I'll send it over with the lighter to have you do a test fit.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"