Thread: Bought another Falcon

Bought another Falcon

Well I was doing my civic duty and trying to find a reason to drive over the mountain and see you guys and maybe bring roger a stock 6 cylinder rear end. Roger didn't want me making any special trips so I started cruising craigslist looking for another falcon. Can't have too many of them right?
    Its been over a year since i bought the last one. Right?

So i stumbled across this 63.5 hard top posting.. looks like a cool car..
    V-8 2 speed auto and hey it has a tach on the dash.. hey it has the wood grain steering wheel. yea it has the sprint chrome package, yep it has all the correct sprint badging.. Could it be?

Well we aren't a 100% certain but it looks to be an orginal sprint. though its missing the correct tail pannal lettering..

Story is the car was rear ended many years ago and repaired with a futura tail panal..

Could be true, I don't really care.. I didn't buy it because it might be a sprint. I bought it becasue its a 63 hardtop..
    seller never claimed it was a sprint though he bought it in 95 believing it was and thinks it might be.

So I'll be over that direction the first weekend in February, although I'll be a little bit to the south..

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Here are a couple of low res photos..

I don't think its a true sprint, but it will be fun trying to find out if it is.

Nathan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Nathan289; January 20th, 2010 at 09:42 AM.
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

Was it a V8 car from the get-go? That may help, though I'm pretty sure they made a 63 6 cyl Sprint as well. Something nagging in my memory banks about such a thing.

I don't think there is much to document if something was a Sprint from VIN numbers. I think it was a last-minute factory change. But the question is whether in 63 they made a V8 Futura. I'm clueless in that regard.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Roger,

No body knows of a 6 cylinder sprint though there is rumor that there was.. I know they made a mustang sprint that was a 6 cylinder. it had all the ralley pack options but the v-8..
    Yes the futura had a v-8 in late 63, it shared the same series code and body code as the sprint.
    The vin number is 3r17f156812
    the door tag says
    body 63c color M Trim 86b date 25C DSO 74 Axle 4 Trans 3

The vin should break down as a 63 san jose built hardtop with a 260 unit number 156812

the door tag breaks down as a hardtop that was corinthian white black crush vinyal with single welt born on March 25 sold in seattle with a 3.25 non locking rear with a 2 speed auto.

problem is ford didn't have any data plate info that tells someone what the difference is between a futura and a sprint. in 1964 they did a better job.

So I have to go off of visual ques.. which this car has all but one, but there is a story to why that one part is incorrect. see picture below.
    The good news is the seller has alot of documentation from previous owners although not the window sticker or anything like that, so maybe I can trace down the original buyer and find out from them if it was a sprint.

Nathan
    Last edited by Nathan289; January 20th, 2010 at 03:09 PM. Reason: spelling
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

I've never noticed before but anyone have any ideas on the gas cap? I've never seen it.
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

Now you just need a 63 Falcon vert and you can have a show and have a car in every class. Think of the trophy shelf .
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Actually we cant buy anymore falcons.. I don't even have room for this one..

But one more falcon and I get my own chapter of the fca.

It would have to be a 1960 or a 64 falcon though.. going for the one model of every year thing.. 1961,{2} 1962. and now a 1963.. I should trade the ranchero for a 1960 or 1964 ranchero.

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

The cap looks "home-made" using a '63 Futura roof pillar emblem. I like it.

Jeff,

Your correct it is home made.. I asked the seller.. I like it too.. It beats all the 63s I see with the 65 gas cap, which is what I would have done if it didn't have the 63 gas cap.

Nathan

P.s. Maybe I should buy a bunch of 63 gas caps, roof emblems and some barrel nuts and start making my own to sell..

Nah wouldn't want a bunch of copies out there..
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

Pictures of a clean car.. When the seller told me the car could use new paint. He wasn't kidding.. some of it washed off.. but it looks alot better than the moss covered car it was..

I'm thinking numbers matching restore.. not contours, but really nice driver quality.. But I don't know if I want to paint it corithian white..

I wonder if you can pearl the original color?

Otherwise we were looking at silvermoss, chestnut, or ming green all original 63 colors...

Nathan
    Last edited by Nathan289; January 24th, 2010 at 12:12 AM. Reason: spelling
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

Good looking car Nathan. I've always liked the roundbody hardtops. And Silvermoss would be my choice. I've seen the color in some original brochures but never on an actual car.

Time to add one more to your signature! I hope there's not a size limit!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Kenny,

I've been looking for a silver moss ford of anything and have yet to see a whole car painted that color..

SO I've been looking at Ming Green which is a light turquios (sp?) color..

Paint will be one of the first things done as this paint is starting to come off..

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

OK,
    So paint wont be the first thing.. Floors will..

I did it get her running.. I almost have all the electrical working..

Floors will be done in the next month as time permits.. the new floors arrived already.. just need to cut out the old and place the new..

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper