Thread: Barn Find or bust?

Barn Find or bust?

A buddy of mine approached me with a Futura for sale. The owner doesn't believe in email, and sent me some pics. The car is bare bones, with no motor or trans. I think it's a 62, there is no grill. The seats and parts are in another part of the barn. Is in Eastern Wa. I would be starting from scratch. They will deliver car and parts to my house for 200 to 250. The body is straight, and I don't see a rust issue. All the glass is there. It's been sitting in a barn for 15 plus years. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Should I run? Or should I just stick with my Sprint?
    Bill Proctor .. 1963 Falcon Sprint. Looking forward to learning new things.

The initial investment is small.

They are essentially giving it to you for free if they will deliver the car and parts to your house $200 - $250.

You could then spend the next several months thinking about it and re-assembling the parts that you have and making a list of the things that you would need and estimating how much a restoration would ultimately cost.

If you then decided not to go forward and just left it at a junk yard, you would only be out $250.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; June 26th, 2013 at 02:52 AM.

You could part it out a d make your money back easy. If you have the room and time I say go for it. Especially since they are brining it to you.
    Maybe the club can get together and reassemble it with all our resources and raffle it off if we ever do a regional meet.
    Post up some pics I love barn finds. I'm looking at a couple right now.

Have them ship it to my house, I have plenty of room...

Having just brought a car in really good shape back to life and knowing what that cost me - and looking at the things before I shelled out the cash I had to assume were "potential costs"... here's some quick math on this one:

Initial investment - $250
    "Good" motor and trans, say from someone on Craigslist pulling a 6 to do a V8 swap - minimum $600-$800
    Cooling system - $300
    Gas tank, sender (95% chance of being rusted out) - $150
    Tires - $500
    Suspension - $250
    Rust repair - $500
    Complete Brake system (M/C, all lines, hydraulics, shoes, drums) - $500
    Grille "core quality" - $100
    Seals (doors and windows) - $250
    Interior repair (minimum to be de-ratted and de-moused) - $500

Car cost for basic gift of new life ~ $4100
    Car worth at this level of restoration ~ $2000- $3000

You may get by cheaper if some of these things are good or can be had for less money, but there is always the incidentals you can't think of yet 'til you get into it.

Would still be worth getting if you have the space, or send it out to Steve's for a future "parting party." There's always $250 worth of parts on it or it may be a great foundation (assuming rust is minimal) for someone wanting to do a full-fledged restoration on it.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Seems to me that very few of us could make a profit on our cars if time is considered (I know for sure, I couldn't). So the question to ask yourself might be: Do I really want another car?

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Oh heck no... Flarechero would have cost $100,000 in labor! And that was just what Gene did on it!

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Actually, I kinda kept track. I think it was $67,381, but you must have about the same invested in my Ranchero. It must be a wash by now, or maybe I owe you? Did you keep track of that? How much do you have in time on that one.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

I averaged about 40 hours a week on the Flarechero for 9 months straight. That, at a shop rate of $80 an hour, is $115,200. And that was bare-minimum body work and paint. I'd have had to add another $10K or so to have it professionally finished and painted. Even buying the cheapest parts and scrimping on parts where I could, that car (NOT including the initial cost to Steve for the two I bought from him to make this one) cost me about $5000 by the time I was finished. Is it worth $5000 now, as-is?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"