Thread: Carpeting

Carpeting

Anybody got any HOT TIPS on how to make small holes in the carpeting/floor pad without pulling the loops from the carpet or winding a big bunch of fiber on a drill bit when drilling through the pad. I'm referring to the seat belt bolts and the bolts that hold the seat in. Don't want to ruin new carpet/pad!

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Take a piece of copper pipe the diameter you want, heat it with a propane torch and push it through where you want the hole. It melts right through and melts the edges at the same time. Twist it as you go through and take it out quickly before it cools too much.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Seems like a good tip to me, Kenny! I'll give it a shot. I suspect I may want to have the garage well ventilated.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Well I too will have to give this one a try. I suppose with the smaller holes you could do something similar, but with some smaller diameter copper (hobby shops have that). I use my Weller soldering gun for things like this in the past, but hey, I'm willing to try new things too!

I'd probably mark the spots with a soap stone and then pull it away as you do it.

Hey Gene, on another note, I finally have some microswitches, so while I'm off work over the next week I'm going to get those mounted up for you. You probably need them I suppose.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"